2023 IRA EV/PHEV Lease Credit "pass-through"

“but what I have uncovered is that the leasing structure at one pay still has a money factor and residual”

I asked my Volvo dealer to send me a copy of the actual Volvo lease contract and as you can see under section 41, you have the right to buy out the car at any point before the termination of the lease by paying the residual value plus the remaining payments MINUS unearned rent… Essentially what that means is that if you buy out after one month, you end up paying the discounted price of the car plus the first month rent plus the other stuff that a lease adds on (acquisition fee, deal fee and disposal fee).

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 3.28.29 PM

Anybody read the new “Limit, Save, and Grow Act of 2023” ?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/2811/text#toc-HEE0CF0F3B12D44E88BABC82A3F75F700

"SEC. 237. REPEAL OF CREDIT FOR QUALIFIED COMMERCIAL CLEAN VEHICLES.

(a) In General.—Subpart D of part IV of subchapter A of chapter 1 is amended by striking section 45W (and by striking the item relating to such section in the table of sections for such subpart).

(b) Conforming Amendments.—

(1) Section 38(b) is amended by striking paragraph (37).

(2) Section 6213(g)(2) is amended by striking subparagraph (V).

(c) Effective Date.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2022."

It won’t pass the Senate but parts of it may survive in future bills.

1 Like

There is a whole section in there for section 30d as well that basically rolls the whole ev credit back to what it was before the ira

1 Like

So basically no difference then? Everyone gets $7500?

Id have to look at it in more detail. It did also have the 200k unit manufacturer cap put back in

2 Likes

The repeal of 45W concerns me more because we can’t lease with a $7500 cap reduction because the leasing company can’t claim an EV tax credit now.

1 Like

Some automakers lobbied hard for this credit. Same thing will happen if they try to repeal it.

This seems to completely rewrite 30d as well, so it may remove the limitation that prevents the purchase credit applying on a lease. The bill looks to basically just be an undo.

2 Likes

It’s not final is it ?

No chance it passes.

1 Like

I saw this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/133hyjn/psa_volvo_c40_recharge_can_currently_be_leased_in/

And checked a local Volvo dealer’s site. Wow… they are offering $10K in incentives on top of the $7500 lease credit.

The range sucks but $15K to $17.5K off should be as enticing as a GC 4xE lol. Leases are $363/month for a $62K. That’s not EQS deal good but decent if you are looking for a family SUV EV and don’t want a Model Y.

If I didn’t hate volvos so much I might go for that deal. I just find them super user unfriendly and not really enjoyable to drive.

Hope others here can take advantage of these rebates

Unlike a Jeep that holds value well you would probably not be able to sell this at a profit even with all that money off. I got in a newer Volvo a few weeks ago and couldn’t even fit in the damn think without crawling in dukes of hazard style lol

Apologies if this has been posted already. How To Get A $7,500 Tax Credit On Almost Any EV Lease Thanks To An IRA Loophole | Carscoops

Yeah… size-wise the Volvo C40 does not compare to the GC 4xe. The metrics specifications may only be inches difference of interior space in both front an rear seating but when you sit in both, it feels like a bigger difference.

But saying that… I would probably lean towards the C40 over they Y for a daily EV driver just because of ride difference and more driver controls/display, esp if the monthly lease on a C40 was less than the Y. As for range… ain’t nothin’ but a number… but Supercharging obv helps with that.

1 Like

Wranglers hold their value. Grand Cherokees do not.

since when? wrangler values sink faster than actual wranglers.

Since always? Wranglers have historically always had much less than average depreciation.

4 Likes

Take this with a grain of salt (From CarEdge)

In many instances base Unlimited (4 door) S trims have actually appreciated in 3-5 years from their original MSRP.