2023 Ford Explorer Platinum Deal

I think at the end of the day, most here would agree there are several much better options out there, not just financially but also from a vehicle standpoint. If you have driven others and truly believe this is your best option, get quotes from several ford dealers and move forward with the best one…but definitely finance. Leasing makes no sense in this transaction.

And that is a fair answer. I was just trying to learn from the community. Give that THIS is the car. Lets talk numbers. What warrants the term “atrocious”? Again. Just trying to learn.

Ummmmm now that it was mentioned…Where can I find that Macan for $600?

1 Like

Your calculator does not reflect this. Youre showing a $100 discount.

Not sure where. My last posted calculator shows 1500 and 3500 for the lease

To be fair, these were former demos/loaners with one-pay lease contracts for 12 months / 15k miles.

Here is one of the signed deal.

Incentives are not dealer discounts

Ahhh gotcha. Seems to be how I put it into the calculator. I’m a noob.

Dealers often misrepresent incentives as discounts theyre giving as well, which is why you always need to know the incentives actually are before talking to them.

1 Like

I think posters have explained their thought process here. There are cars that many would consider more desirable for around the same total cost of the lease. But those cars do not appear to work for you. So perhaps this is as good as it gets for the car that you want.

If you haven’t already, double check w/ Edmunds about the incentive(s). And maybe contact a broker to see if they can get a better discount (perhaps they can’t). I think that’s pretty much it.

Thank you. That was a thoughtful response. I did look into brokers on the Marketplace in the Forum. However none are working Fords right now. It seems to be obvious why.

Dealers have innumerable ways of making money on cars… and will often sell at a loss vs what the mfg charges them. Sales targets, leasing targets, financing targets, making money from MF or APR inflation, returning vehicle they really want, model targets, year/quarter/month end targets, etc. these will enable them to sell a car at a loss and still make money… other times they will agree to sell a car because they’ve been sitting on it so long. Im sure there are more, there may even be penalties for having a car sit on the lot too long etc.

So many reasons many cars can go to beyond 20% off MSRP.

Would add that I’m not super familiar with that range of cars but the GC, the GC4xe, and the pathfinder all have some sub 700 a month 0 down deals, and I’d put them in a similar bucket as the explorer

1 Like

If the car is for work, why do you need a 60k explorer? Is the 37k one not enough?

1 Like

Why not get a crew cab Ram or Tundra. Would have cheaper payment, would haul everything you need to haul and would likely have back end equity. Plus you’re not dealing with a Ford lease and 3rd party restrictions

2 Likes

We’re already long past this. OP wants a particular vehicle and wants to optimize a deal on one, to the extent possible.

4 Likes

Why are you so hung up on the word atrocious and why did you ignore a concrete example of how bad the Explorer leases?

I don’t understand why everyone is giving the OP a hard time. Not every deal is a unicorn. Not every one wants to put the time and energy into getting one, or wants to live with the usually mediocre vehicles they result in.

Based on the posted calculator, Ford is offering 56% RV and a 4.1% MF. Yes those are not amazing terms, but they are not absurd either. The RV is the biggest problem, but if you want to own an Explorer, you need to live with the RV. It’s not like Explorer are known to hold value so well that purchasing it, for me, is the clear decision. When you add in the incentives, all that is really missing here is an X-plan discount.

A $27K TCO is not that bad for 3+ years with a $60K+ SUV in 2023. It is a unicorn? No. Could he have a Ram or a Silverado for the same payment. Yes. That doesn’t mean it’s not sensible.

8 Likes

A quick comparison between Explorer and Pathfinder’s exterior dimensions, they are about an inch or less apart from each other. I think explorer might have slightly larger cargo and interior volume.
on top of the much better lease deals that we are seeing right now, the current Pathfinder was also just launched last year vs Explorer which is probably due for a redesign in the next year or two. I’d also argue that the interior for Pathfinder platinum feels better quality wise. OP should definitely go check out a Nissan Pathfinder in platinum trim and take it for a test drive before making the decision on getting the Explorer. best of luck.

The point being missed is that I WANT the Explorer. Not a Pathfinder, not a Macan, not a Silverado. I live in NYC and want a vehicle I can take my wife out in as well as throw the odd tool or equipment in to bring to my guys on a jobsite. Ever try parking a Silverado in NYC? Not fun!

I just wanted to know why this deal was being panned from a numbers perspective.

4 Likes

I’m just as exhausted as you reading all this, after your wishes and intentions have been made 100% clear 100 times over.

Have you considered a snowmobile?

7 Likes