?2023 Cadillac Celestiq

i would argue that escalade is a little different and also not $300k…and the only model cadillac model that people actually want (excl. blackwings)

There’s a critical flaw in your logic. The Escalade was cool. Now, it doesn’t matter if you personally believe so, pop culture made its decision.

The same thing with anything made by Balenciaga. It’s cool so people clamor to it. The actual product could literally be an empty chip bag and people will buy it to feel better about themselves.

The Celestiq is not cool. It does not matter how excellent the end product is (which it looks half baked anyways).

Celebrities and influencers are insecure and only buy things that make them look cool. They will not buy a Celestiq.

You can never predict what is ‘cool’. Look at NFT’s for about a year they were ‘cool’ now they are ‘nonexistant’.

Cool is in the eye of the beholder, if Caddy got a Khardashian to ride around in one, it would be a ‘cool’ thing.

I didn’t say it would ‘last’, just that the rich folk with lots of spare cash will probably get one.

1 Like

You’re misunderstanding. Of course, everyone has different ideas on what’s cool to them. But I’m talking about what’s cool. you absolutely can predict what is cool. Look at what other young people and celebrities and influencers are doing/what they like. Has nothing to do with subjectivity. There very much is a hive mind nature to our society and buying habits.

Oh boy, do I have a super stupid Web3 startup to sell you.

“I’ll take cars nobody asked for, for $800, Alex.”

3 Likes

Because there are two types on hipstagram: influencers/influenced.

This generation’s VW Phaeton

3 Likes

I think that they are positioning this for a market that A) Does not exist yet, B) May never exist and C) Will most likely be dominated by more upmarket brands if it ever does exist. Rolls Royce is supposedly bringing a similar high end EV to market. Will this work? Probably not? It’s an interesting play, targeting the ultra wealthy with a truly custom EV. But the problem is that the well to do are already just getting Teslas, just like they already get the top of the line iPhone every year. This reminds me of the way Vertu tried to create a “luxury” line of phones and rich people knew that the existing high end alternatives promoted as much status, if not more in some ways. The truly wealthy prefer durable goods. Phones and yes, even cars (with rare exceptions) just aren’t it. The EV market certainly isn’t the place for that, at least not yet. They are still seen as appliances.

1 Like

These are going to be coach built in new facility. Custom commissioned, max output 500 units year.

These things will be on another level than any Cadillac ever built. Rolls level attention to detail using hand craftsmen.

They won’t have any problem selling all build slots at 500 units a year.

Stylistically this looks like a 1993 vision of what a futuristic car might look like.

I’m also getting a vague, occasional whiff of this.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a32499196/was-the-lagonda-ahead-of-its-time-or-did-its-time-never-come/

2 Likes

I dare you to lease one.

3 Likes

“Hey, you guys remember that Elmiraj concept we made 10 years ago that people were so disappointed to not see in production? How about we just turn it into an EV and charge 300 grand?”

3 Likes

Best looking Cadillac ever made. No way management would ever allow that to happen.

From the C pillar aft, it’s very Jensen Interceptor.

1 Like

I think this is the best looking car on or coming to market. You need to go back to 60s and earlier to get cars with design on the same level.

Uh-oh…khaki slacks crowd, quick, everyone secure your wallets!

1 Like

For $300k, you could get a Bentley

Or for even less you could get a used Urus or a new G wagon or a Range Rover

People like badges, that Caddy is going to be a tough sell

also a cullinan starts at 340k, who is cross-shopping this with that