2022 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport SE w/ Tech $614/m Good or Bad?

I’m considering leasing a 2022 Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport SE w/ Tech trim at 10k/39m. This is the deal I was given. The car will be purchased in MA as that is the closest dealership that has the trim/color that I want but will be registered NJ. The MSRP is $43869, but I was told the taxes are wrapped into the gross capitalized cost. I think that the MF is marked up but I’m not certain. Im still learning how to negotiate car deals so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (EDITORIAL | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!! While you’re at it, be sure to watch the LH video (How to Use Leasehackr - YouTube) to brush up on how to most efficiently use the resources here.
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from the LH Calculator - Lease Program Query or Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator (CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR), and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

1 Like

To be honest I’m not asking if the payment is good or not. The payment that I was quoted is feasible for me, but I also don’t want to be naive and go into the deal without understanding hidden costs and potentially trying to negotiate against them. I did find out the money factor on edmunds, pre-incentive discount and use the lease calculator before hand but the numbers I’m calculating are off from what I’m being given.

Money factor quoted on edmunds was .00194 vs the dealer stating that his regional chart is giving him .00210

I guess I’m asking for a second pair of eyes and any tips on how to negotiate this deal further if possible

Can you post a link to a calculator?

If I’m reading your worksheet correctly, your effective payment is $691/mo. And so the dealer is not actually selling this to you at MSRP. That seems like a lot for a $45K VW (and I say this as a VW owner).

Have you looked to see if there’s any brokers here in your area working w/ VWs?

This is why you put together a target deal before talking to the dealer. Then you know what it should be without markups, so if the numbers don’t add up, you’re not caught by surprise.

I’m not a lease expert but a 614 payment on a 43k car YIKES

dealer is trying to take advantage of you

3 Likes

MA doesn’t allow any kind of temp tags AFAIK: So you won’t be able to drive off the lot until your permanent plates arrive from NJ MVC, which could be 4-8 weeks

1 Like

Thanks for responding, I’m thinking the same thing. I initially caught that the MSRP was marked up on the contract and mentioned it. The dealer stated that NJ is one of 3 states that require tax upfront so they rolled the tax payments into the the capitalized costs which is why there is no sales tax listed.

I also felt that $614 monthly on a $43k car was a lot and if im using the calculator correctly the payments should be around $575 which is what the Edmunds lease calculator gave me.

Im not sure how to exactly post the link to the calculator but will figure it out.

Keep in mind that with $3000 das, this is almost $700 per month effectively.

1 Like

VWs have very poor lease incentives currently, I highly recommend purchasing this vehicle instead. You can always sell it after 3 years if you don’t want to keep it long

3 Likes

Just leased the Atlas Crossport SE with Tech last month. Mine was around the same MSRP. I paid $520 per month with $3000 due at sign. Also in NJ!

1 Like

Congrats! You mind sharing the dealership?

Reydel Volkswagen!

1 Like

Will the taxes be removed at purchase? Your offer doesn’t indicate taxes are included. As it is written now I would guess when you would get to DMV in NJ you would be told you still owe NJ taxes.

Also, I am going to respectfully disagree with other posters who say we need more info to evaluate this deal. This is a bad deal. You are paying $27k to lease this $43k car for 39 months, and I suspect you would owe another couple thousand in NJ taxes after the fact. If you want this car, find a better deal or (more likely) just finance it.

Bring a trailer?

1 Like

Maybe consider Drive Go’s Atlas offer on their SE? I would never lease a VW right now. I somehow finessed 16% off LP on my top trim Arteon last year May. Don’t think that will happen again.

https://www.drivego.com/product/2022-volkswagen-atlas-6/?filter_location=mia&filter_make=volkswagen&query_type_make=or&zip=33323&active=f5

Will have to wait for it to be available though. Maybe chat with their customer service on it.

This post is 1 year old…

1 Like