2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT Check My Calculator Math

Hi everyone. I’m seeing if anyone mind checking my LH Calculator inputs before I email this dealer with my target price and if it’s reasonable given the circumstances we’re in. I’ve gathered the MF, RV, and incentives from Edmunds, and Moroney MSRP from the dealer’s website. Also, tried searching the Share A Deal section to see if there’s any recent data for Surbaru Onyx XTs and couldn’t find much other than other models and understanding that Subaru’s don’t lease well.

I’m in NJ 07801 and no trade-in and never previously owned a Subaru before. The numbers are for a 2022 Outback Onyx XT with a 36/15:
MSRP: 35145 (from the Monoroney)
MSRP: 37542 (list on the dealer’s site)
Incentives: None
Fees: 799 (according to their web site)
Government Fees: 239.50 (according to NJ DMVs site)

MF: .00110
RV: 60%

Hoping for a 7.8% off MSRP

I would appreciate any input.

This is awesome site, btw. I spent about 2 weeks reading 101 and different posts and keep finding so many golden nuggets of information.

Thanks!

Typically subarus are better off being purchased instead of leased. They usually hold their value pretty well

Not sure how you’re going to get a 7% discount on a car in this environment, but good luck!

I’ve leased 4 Subarus in the past 5 years…they lease OK, IMHO. Leased a $33.4K Forester Sport in April for $355/month, 36/10K, zero drive off, 9.5% LA tax.

I got rid of my 2020 Outback…the center unit (audio/heating/seats) is just awful…go on the Subaru forum and you’ll see a 250+ page thread on people’s issues with it.

The Forester tend to lease better from what I’ve seen.

I’m tempted to just have dealers throw numbers at me since I really don’t know what it’s like to lease in this environment. Also, thank you for the head ups on the center console which I’ll look into.

I leased my 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R in NorCal -
MSRP $38k
First Payment DAS
$323 w/ CA Taxes ($295 w/o Taxes)
36 months/12k miles

They do hold their value, but I found that at-least in CA, they leased super well, with Chase Auto being the leasing company.

I ended up taking the positive equity and getting into something else during the pandemic.

Have you checked with brokers? I think @AutoNinjas does Subaru in NJ.

You should figure which MSRP to start with since that’s where your RV is coming from.
Could dealer add-one’s they are trying to pass as inside MSRP while they won’t be residualized.

Also, expand search to more than just one dealership. You can cross state lines in search for a better deal:)

1 Like

Yeah. I have. I’m trying to get it less than them for $50/month if possible. I’m guessing they’re already getting the best deal possible.

For sure. Definitely going to cast a net and want a good starting pointing with my numbers without sounding like a noob as this will be my first lease.

That model was leasing really well because it was the last year before the redesign…if you’re interested in saving money, and not getting the latest and greatest, that is usually one of the best “bargains” in the automotive world…at least it used to be!

It also leased well because the 3.6 engine was not a big seller…Outback buyers are not speed demons.

1 Like

Indeed; Ironically right when it got discontinued, and replaced with a turbo, the values sky rocketed.

The engine was far from quick/fast, and the mileage was horrible. But people love what they cant have. :slight_smile:

Check the Subaru forums they keep a list of prices paid. I know Clayton subaru has been doing orders on 22’s at a decent discount and that Chicagoland is notorious for having good discounts though they often geo restrict.

1 Like

I had the 2020 XT…while more powerful and smooth than the regular engine, it had substantial turbo lag, and a weird feel…on top of that, the handling while much better than my 2017 Subaru, didn’t match the power of the XT and felt unbalanced.

I’m convinced the Forester is their best car…I love it.

1 Like

dont forget to ask about Subaru VIP program. In this environment, many dealers arent discounting for that, and dropping Coscto program as well. VIP usually gets 1-2% below invoice.

I’ll give it a shot with various dealers. Thank you!

We live by a road where we have to cut across a two lanes off the ramp to make a U-turn if we need to go in the opposite direction so a little more torque helps.

You would’ve figured Subaru would have tuned the XTs better by now.

Yes! I saw this post a couple days ago. Thinking of trying this if my northeast region doesn’t work out. Thank you!

you need to make a donation ($500 for immediate access to the program, $50 and wait 6 months) to get VIP certificate. Dealer needs certificate to determine pricing (1% below invoice, 2%, etc)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.