2022 Nissan Leaf SV plus lease ending in 2 months. Buy out option

Hi
Does anyone know if there is an option to negotiate buy out number with Nissan at the end of the lease?
Based on the latest info this is MMR for the unit but the residual value is $31.5k.

This car is $10k underwater.
Does NMAC has any insurance for the difference?
TIA for any feedback

Typically no. You can ask but very little chance they will.

You may want to see if the dealer is willing to buy it from NMAC and sell it to you for some reasonable markup.

1 Like

Let’s assume dealer is not buying this car. What is happening after i return it?
The RV is like $10k above auction value.

Probably goes to an internal NMAC option open to dealers regionally or even nationally.

Then another dealer may buy it and price it at market retail.

I knew someone who leased a 2013 Leaf SL. At the end of their lease the residual value was $16k, but NMAC offered them $9k to buy it out.

Similarly, a friend who was a serial BMW i3 lessees (on their third lease), has been offered $10k under their residual for for their 2014 and 2018 leases.

I can’t imagine the dealer sells the car even over $30k. It doesn’t hurt to ask NMAC for a lower buyout, or even just chatting to the dealer and making a deal with them.

1 Like

I’m on the same boat, my 2021 S is 5k underwater, it has 10k miles, I have 20 days left before lease expired.
I called NMAC, they won’t negotiate with me… Dealer too said they won’t be able to sell it to me with lower price.
At the current market, Leaf is too expensive to lease, Nissan isn’t passing any incentives…
So last weekend I went ahead and lease a Murano…

1 Like

Does it make sense to try to extend the lease if you like the car well enough?

Only if you’re ok with the RV not being reduced

1 Like

I was assuming from upthread that it wouldn’t really work to get them to reduce RV. Used Leaf listing prices seem delusional at the moment.

Do you know for how long can i extend it?

I was able to extend my Leaf lease by 6 months.

2 Likes

Timely thread, I’m in the same boat. It was no issue to extend 6 months, no it doesn’t reduce the RV, but my monthly was insanely cheap and I just had to pay that. Now the six months are almost up and I asked for another six months and they said no dice.

I would be interested in buying the car if I could get the $4000 Federal tax credit, but the law reads that I have to buy it from a dealer and if I just did the buy out I wouldn’t be buying from a dealer, right? And returning the lease to a dealer and then immediately buying from a dealer seems like a complicated proposition.

Not an expert but Nissan doesn’t allow to buy the lease directly from the Bank and the dealer needs to be involved. So technically You are buying the car from the dealer. IDK.

Shoot, I’m jealous. I asked for an extension on my Frontier S 4x4 and they only allowed 3 months and not six. They require some sort of proof of commitment for the additional 3 when I inquired.

Not to be semantic, but it’s not Nissan, it’s NMAC as in the bank.

Nissan does allow a direct purchase but it’s ‘off-menu’ as in you have to call and request it in certain states.

When a dealer is involved, even then you’re still not buying it from the dealership. You’re still buying it from the captive but its ‘dealer arranged’.

2 Likes

I just called NMAC, they only allow 3 months extension, need a paper shows I have something ordered and won’t come on time then they allow 3 additional month…
How did you get 6 months extension?

They asked how long I wanted to extend and I said six months. That was about it.

1 Like

How did you do on the Murano?

Not the cheapest on LH, but good enough for me.
It’s a Murano SV FWD, MSRP $39,585, $202(included 10.25% tax) a month and $1500 due at sign. 18/10k
Dealer didn’t want to do MSD or one pay, or else it could be even lower…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.