2022 Mini Convertible

I’m trying to get a get a lease for the new 2022 Mini Cooper S convertible in So Cal.

Only 1 Mini dealer has a lease special below expiring this weekend.
MSRP $40,750
$441.30 per month for 36 months 10k miles.
$3,423.00 due at lease signing. Excludes registration, tax, title and license.
*Security deposit not required.

I have another dealer that gave me final monthly payment including tax of $504.00 with $3,400 down.

Comparing to other cars in the same price range, this seems high.

Does the fact that this car is a 2022 model that is just arriving at the dealership makes the monthly high?

I’m seeing other leases for cars worth $45k with around $3k down goes for around $400 monthly.
Is this value?

Really need help on this one.

You can’t just compare MSRPs to other brands/models to evaluate a lease deal. You need to read Leasing 101 articles to better understand how leasing works.

2 Likes

Stop what you are doing. Stop talking to dealers. Stop payment shopping and comparing to other cars. Step back and learn how a lease payment is calculated, how to set expectations/target, and how to negotiate.

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (Blog | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator (CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR), and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

6 Likes

Thanks for replying.

I tried to enter the numbers per the quote I got from the dealer into the lease calculator for the fees. Not sure if I did the calculator right.

Screenshot 2021-04-29 102752

Screenshot 2021-04-29 102859

Let me know your thoughts.

Read the comment above. This is all very bad

1 Like

You need to actually read the replies and understand them.

It’s good to practice with the calculator to get comfortable with it and play with inputs to create a target deal. But your inputs are wrong on what you showed. Calculators need correct inputs to give a correct output.

Really appreciate the replies.
I have a preferred dealer that needs another quote so they can match it… So I am canvassing around other MINI dealers to see the best lease pricing I can get.

Keep in mind, this is model is just arriving at dealership and there are no incentives yet.

I just got another quote from the dealer with $4000 down, monthly is at $464 including tax.

Leasehacker calculator shows monthly for that should be around $430 inc tax.

So the quote is about $34 more. So I am getting close to the recommended numbers.
Right now there are not alot of this model in SoCal so paying a bit more for the exact model we want will be okay.

What do you guys think?
Can someone check the calculator numbers for me?

Kind of crazy, 3 different people have explained to you, this is not how you go about securing a lease deal, and you follow up with the same question.

If you want this car, get it. If you want to learn how to lease, so you don’t get taken for a ride, do what the others have suggested, and avail yourself the resources on this site to figure out what a fair deal actually is. You are leasing this car with ZERO discount.

4 Likes

If you can’t be bothered to read and understand the replies already given, it’s a waste of everyone’s time to continue responding to different questions when you don’t understand the basics.

You are completely misusing the calculator. The intention of the calculator is not to provide a “recommendation”. As I already said, your inputs are wrong.

Alternatively, you can look in the marketplace for offers or hire a broker based in SoCal who deals with Mini.

1 Like

This isn’t the type of forum that will hand you the answer, it gives you to tools to make the best lease you can. Follow the advice above, or go dish out way too much money.

Not every car can be leased well, and a brand new model getting zero discount will never give you a good price, but if that’s what you want, follow the advice, build a reasonable deal and then find a dealer to do that deal. You won’t get one just asking dealers what they want you to pay, that’s never a good way to get a deal.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ll do a bit more research to get a realistic figure.

The car is for the wife and is very specific and what she wants so I couldn’t find a good comparison for the model.

I found a broker that was recommended to me so I’ll probably just go that route.

Thanks for all the hostility. :wink:

This is an odd perception of people trying to help you. I’m sorry that I spent the time trying.

3 Likes

I am grateful I found this site and got feedback and made me pause on my pursuit.

I have been playing with the calculator and it doesnt have a recent value Money Factor for the 2022 Mini cooper S.
I tried 0.001(2.4 APR) as the highest and the numbers is a closer to the dealer offer now.

Anybody has recent experiences with Mini/BMW Money Factor for 2022 models?

You have to get the MF/RV and incentives from Edmunds. (link below) but as others have stressed already - Please really do give the leasing 101 a read before you do anything else as there’s a lot of info there.

You really ought to try reading the advice that’s being given to you.

Where to get this information has been broken out in step by step instructions. All you have to do is follow them.

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

So looks like 2021 models MF are about 0.00107 is the lowest.

I played around with this number. with 3500 down, monthly is $407.
Lifehackr score is around 7.4 yrs.

Since there are no lease comparisons yet for this specific car, is 7.4 a good enough starting point?

Did you ask on the forum using your ZIP code and lease term? Incentives and sometimes MF can change by region if you just glanced quickly.

I believe you’re on the wrong forum now

The score isn’t really a good indicator, neither is the 1% rule. A good indicator of a good deal is in comparison to what other consumers/brokers have gotten/offer and most importantly, what you’re willing to pay.

Seriously read the links people asked you to read. You should be able to calculate the lease payment by hand if you do that. There is only one input missing from the dealer and that’s the selling price of the car. You find the formula elsewhere, you find all the inputs elsewhere.

In fact you don’t even want to know the selling price of the car. You want to figure out the average discount for a Mini in Southern California then use all the inputs you have found else where and calculate your payment. Do this by hand or create formulas in Google sheets. Then you go to the dealer and say I want this payment and this is why.

If there are no lease incentives this month, we are close enough to May that you could wait to see if they introduce any in May.

If you don’t want to learn how to calculate a lease, then use a broker or pay retail at the dealer.

I think this is the easiest and best solution for those not willing to ‘hack’ a lease. A broker may even do better than your own hack, fee included.

Just leased a 2021 Clubman last week msrp 39,825. $425 a month including 9% tax. $1060 DAS (425 + 635 dealer fees) everything else rolled into monthly payment