2022 Mazda CX-5 2.5s Preferred $470/72 First-Time Buyer At 18

, , , , ,

Selling Price: $32,050
OTD With Taxes & Fee’s: $35,155
Monthly Payment: $470/72 Months @ 3.9% Mazda Financial ($4,000 DOWN)

Recently a close friend of mine reached out to help trade in his 150,000 miles 2011 BMW X5, for something reliable as he just turned 18 & wanted something just modern for his daily driver for college & life.

He is completely new to purchasing a car, his parents always bought used old cars in cash, so it was kinda fun explaining to him "NO DUDE, DON’T BUY A 3-SERIES OFF CARVANA AT 8.2%, yes it’s true & the screenshots showing the Carvana pre-approval rates he had were insane.) and telling him to get something either CPO(Volvo 1.9APR) or new to help build your car credit as you grow older!

To my surprise, the next day he took my recommendation of the CX-5 & went to a Mazda dealership randomly near his house, and found the perfect one- no markup, no wait-time, no issues. They got him financed using Mazda’s promotional rate of 3.9% within 3 hours. I was quite surprised at how quick everything was, it took my friends & family weeks to find their cars & either he’s insanely lucky or Mazda hasn’t been affected by the chip shortage and inventory is there?

Attached is a quick photo he sent after he took delivery and went straight to FCPEuro to order new engine parts for his new “boosted turbo X5 build”

sigh…

2 Likes

Teenager gon teenager.

2 Likes

Remind him to refi in about 6 months

1 Like

It’s AWD right? ‘Extended Borrow it’ during the snow season…hehe

1 Like

Err, not exactly the car I would modify, but hey, to each their own.

I think he is modifying the X5 now that he has a daily

3.9% is pretty terrible, did you not have him apply at some other places?

Yeah, to clarify my friend is now building a boosted X5 as his streetcar- no idea why, as IMO he should sell it and pay down almost 50% of the CX-5 loan but ehhhhhh.

The Carvana 8.2% with $10k down scared us enough, but understandable for being 18 and like 1 credit card but also Carvana. Also with him needing a car quickly, I believe exploring any other manufacturer finance offers was gonna waste of time as vehicles are a shortage issue.

The market rate on new cars for 72 months is average 3.64% so not crazy for him at 3.9 but plan on refinancing during Christmas time

Did his parents not want to co-sign. We’ve seen rates for a 65-72 is well bellow 2.5.

Honestly for an 18 year old with probably no real credit history 3.9% ain’t that bad. I don’t think anyone that age is running around with an auto FICO of 800+ like many of us here.

1 Like

I have shitty credit and got 2.49 for 60

1 Like