2022 Lexus IS500 (the V8 is back!)

You’re being a troll, if you find someone saying HUD and power folding mirrors as being an essential requirement on a luxury car in 2021 outrageous then perhaps you are the one who need to check your perspective. Move on, the Lexus IS isn’t a sports car, not like we are talking GT3 here. It’s a near luxury compact sedan which I have owned for 3 years prior and it certainly weren’t a special car to me. I couldn’t wait to return that lease. It’s not like I am here knocking people who find this IS500 appealing.

This thread has such bench racing vibes… like honestly there’s always going to be something faster both on paper and IRL. But to bench race while proclaiming one can’t live without HUD, well IDK what to say…

2 Likes

Fanbois out in force. Meanwhile every mid 90’s Pontiac in the trailer park has a HUD.

30 bucks at Walmart…done

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-Heads-Up-Display-HUD-Screen-Universal-Car-Head-Up-Windshield-w-Multi-Color-Screen-Projector-Vehicle-Speed-GPS-Navigation-Compass-Plug-Play-w-Spee/421386911?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2961&&adid=22222222228283650610&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=342751351867&wl4=aud-1028050746418:pla-871436584712&wl5=9005949&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113509951&wl11=online&wl12=421386911&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFFH9P9DdGyn7FQeJoS0_JiTxvWGXC-IPiC5K6dbeie_M3l1Rg890BRoCdKYQAvD_BwE

Kinda makes “must have CarPlay” sound normal.

No, nevermind. It doesn’t.

1 Like

YMMV. I’ve only driven a previous-gen and current-gen Camry (and the previous gen was a rental), but the two were so vastly different that it was hard to believe they came from the same manufacturer. I thought that the previous gen was so floaty and disconnected that it bordered on dangeerous. The current-gen Camry is cosmetically ugly, but it drives very, very well, IMHO. Certainly much better than any mainstream family sedan needs to drive. Full disclosure: I have not driven any of the current-gen competing cars (but did not particularly like the seating position of the Accord, which seemed to have both a low seat and a relatively high cowl).

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens as Lexus ports its products over to the new platforms.

For what it’s worth I never considered BMW because it didn’t have Android Auto before. And I did enjoy the HUD during the test drive.

Doesnt the whole thing boil down to get what you want based on whatever criteria you want?

1 Like

I doubt I would be able to live if my lug nuts were not properly tightened.

1 Like

As someone who’s owned an 03 IS new and bought one back several years later, Lexus has been a HUGE disappointment.

The Supra was a JOKE. Should of been based on an LC. With this, they’ll be stupid enough to price it close to an RCF. However, if they took a page out of the American play book buy stuffing a big motor in a regular IS. If they don’t over inflate the price, no doubt the car will be successful.

Called it back in October!

I’d rather have polarized sunglasses than a HUD that I can’t use when wearing my sunglasses :dark_sunglasses: But I do need the folding w mirrors to allow me to creep under the muscle car that sits on a narrow Bend-Pak.

There isn’t a vehicle on the market that doesn’t have folding mirrors… Some you just have to spend 10 seconds doing manually.

Blasphemy! Go wash your mouth out with soap.

2 Likes

But how will I tell if the car is locked or not without auto folding mirrors?!?!? Is that the world we want to live in?

1 Like

Amusingly, on the Palisade, for whatever reason Hyundai didn’t bring the power folding mirrors to the states. The Korean spec vehicles get them, the European spec ones seem to, and of course the Telluride does.

On the Palisade forums, this may be one of the largest points of contention around the vehicle. It amazes me how many think it’s the end of the world and won’t consider the vehicle because of this.

Ya, I think it’s silly and I’d rather have power folding mirrors than not, but it is just not that big of a deal.

One person hit their mirror on their garage frame backing out recently and went on a long tirade about how they needed the mirrors to fold to not do this. If only there was some sort of reflective device that you could look at and see the garage frame to make sure you weren’t going to hit any parts of the car.

1 Like

What amazes me is that there is a Palisade forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are actually 4-5, but only 2 are particularly active.

Any evidence that Rule 34 also applies to Palisades? It must.

Why do you think they’re so upset that the mirrors don’t fold?

2 Likes

Having to exit the car to do the passenger side every time I enter or exit the garage is enough to make me cry uncle. Ya dumb, ya lazy but it’s reality. I would hate it. If I had a pair of shoes whose shoelaces came undone 3-4x/d, much as it’s simple enough to bend over and re-tie then reach time, I would toss those shoes (or have them re-laced).

Since there are no practical aftermarket power mirrors add-ons…