2022 Honda Civic: Will an all-new, redesigned car be a good lease?

I have been going back and forth about what new car I want, but my latest thought is to get a Honda Civic. I think (based on articles and photos) that I might prefer the 2022 Civic to the 2021. Does anyone have insight into when the 2022s might be available? The websites say “Spring 2021.” A dealer I spoke with says he has no idea – that Honda does not tell them very much. (He just wanted to sell me or lease me a 2021).

Also, am I likely to have to “overpay” for a lease when the new model first comes out?

Thanks,
R.I.

Yes, generally deals are worse when they first come out.

Civics in general haven’t always been the best lease value too.

I paid more for my 2017 civic touring lease than I did for my 2018 Volvo s90.

2 Likes

When I had a quick look at the 2021 Civic EX, the lease deals looked pretty good.

The current outgoing 2020/2021 Civic is a pretty solid lease deal. The 2022 Civic is absolutely unlikely to lease well for at least a year, but possibly not until the refreshed version comes out several years later.

It only took how many years for the current generation to start to make sense from a lease standpoint?

2 Likes

Will the ‘22 not make sense from a lease perspective initially because of the residual and money factor or more because if the MSRP discounts?

Would it then also be a lousy purchase deal too, at least initially?

Generally all of the above.

Demand for cars is really high right now, so most likely will go for sticker throughout the first few months. If you are going to purchase, wait until the end of the model year. Also gives time to sort out any problems that owners are having.

The 2022 looks a bit bland, looks like they reduced alot of the jaggedness, aside from that the 2021s are leasing really well now so maybe jump into a 2021 and wait it out to get the 2025 civic in a few years .

I might do that. But I don’t really like the jaggedness. I probably prefer bland.

After test driving various cars it has sort of come down to a Civic versus a Mercedes A220 for me - though I’m still open minded.

I realize that civic vs Merc is little bit of an unusual choice since they are super different.

Our usual approach has been that my wife would drive a luxury car and I would drive a regular car. There are times when we prefer to take my car, like when we are parking on the street in the Bronx. And I can buy regular gas! So if I got the Mercedes, that would be violating this usual practice. However, I drove the A220 as a service loaner the other day, when wife’s ML350 was in for service, and I liked it. And seems like there is some pretty good deals on the A series.

So I guess I just got a “pray on it,” as the religious people say. Civic or Merc?

Yea I was thinking that too…

Honestly, with the pretty great lease offers on 2020/2021 Civics (also Corolla, Forte, 2020 Elantra, Sentra) ask yourself if it makes sense to pay nearly double for an A220. Or probably 60% more for a 2022 Civic. Are either nicer? Sure. Are they 100%/60% nicer? For me, that’s a no.

That’s a wide comparison to make, civic vs A class especially in monthly payments. Depending on your civic choice you could actually drive 2 civics instead of 1 A class. And you mentioned street parking, yea I know what that is like when I’m out looking for parking in my area, I’m very picky and you said ny bronx area? Those who park there have no consideration for other people’s rides. They will bump you 17 times before getting out of a spot.

Is the ML 350 a lease?

“Park by sound”

Years ago, after keeping my car in Brooklyn for a week, I promptly brought it back to my parents home in NJ and left it there.

1 Like

@Traderx - no we bought the ML350. I sort of wish we had leased it but we didn’t. It’s extended warranty (7 years) ends in a year and at that point I think wife will sell or trade it for something new. I prefer not to own a Merc beyond the warranty period because of the high cost of repairs. And I’m sure my wife won’t mind having some new luxury car!

We are in Maryland, at least for now, so the lease tax structure is unfavorable.

Ahh that brings back memories of never owning a decent car because of Brooklyn street parking. Had a buddy who would consistently “make space” for his truck by pushing other cars until he would fit.

1 Like

To answer the Topic Question, if it’s a Honda, probably never - but potentially at the end of it’s product lifecycle.

I would try to lease a Corolla or Elantra instead. Better deals can be had on those and all those econoboxes are roughly the same.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.