2021 Toyota Mirai for $17,995 with $15000 fuel card [ 0% financing purchase & no lease )

I am also considering leasing a 2021 Mirai… Why? It is a great looking vehicle and Because the deals are so great that this car can be had for about $250/mo (after all CA incentives applied at the current lease prices from @Cody_Carter ) I think the prices will drop even more past the summer…so come September as low as $200/mo for XLE and $250 for Limited (of course max incentives applied for those prices) and a NO BRAINER FREE FUEL for 3 years-can’t beat that even if waiting in line for H2 happens…
If I decide to do it-will probably go for the Limited as $9.5K Rebate makes it so much cheaper and better equipped…

Now, as far as H2 fuel comes in play-you probably don’t want this to be your ONLY vehicle if stations go out of service nearby… My closest one is 15 miles away and it’s always online-never has any issues. Also, H2 has a tendency to be released from the tanks to relieve the pressure build up-so you may lose some if you don’t drive it as much. Keep in mind that you can only service these cars at the specific dealerships and not all dealers.

The full rebate for a low income CA is $7,000, if someone qualifies for the CVAP grant that’s another $5,000 (Yes CVAP applies to FC vehicles-as they are in essence an EV…it’s in their implementation manual that no one reads haha)
There is no price limit for FC cars for the CVRP rebate like on EV cars

Did you run the numbers and check if it’s better to buy it now, or Lease it for 3 years and then buy it.
A relative is waiting for his CVAP, and is considering the Mirai. He is retired and doesn’t make much now. The problem is he may never be able to claim the whole $8K Tax credit, so lease may be a better choice.

Yes-I can apply my tax return numbers for 2019 and qualify for the Max $7K rebate…probably better to just lease and walk away, if tax is not $8K+ it wouldn’t be a great purchase…I’ve been following the pricing with Toyota and seems that they’re always rolling out best pricing around Sep/Oct on the Mirai’s-there’s still not much interest or push for FC with the general population but like EV’s in their early start things will change as more stations are built-hence the huge rebates and incentives from the manufacturers and government too…take advantage of driving a Lexus for the price of a Civic and FREE fuel.

When they first came out with the redesign prices were in the high $600’s to lease…now they dropped quite a bit and it will continue…I can’t get CVAP as I used it on my Tesla 3, but after 30 months you can apply again…who knows maybe by then the Cybertruck will be a great buy to try :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I saw these notes on the H-Mirai and I wanted to share my experience with you on leasing the H-Clarity, which was not positive.

I used the same positive points you mentioned in my decision to lease the car (tax credits, H-fuel card, HOV sticker and unlimited HOV lane access with 1 driver is a huge positive in CA traffic, etc.); however, what I did not expect was the H-fueling infrastructure limitations, maintenance costs and insurance cost issues.

At no time did I anticipate that these fueling stations would be broken, out of service, out of H or that there would be lines of 6-10 cars waiting for the single H pump that turns a 5 min fill into a 35-60min errand. One more thing, if you’re filling your car immediately after someone else, the H filling pump handle will be frozen with ice and you have to wait for the pump handle to warm up before you can use it. The H is stored compressed and at very cold temps.

These H stations will also limit how much H you can put in your tank. When the station is low on H fuel, the pump will only let you put in 1kg when the car tank has a 5kg capacity. You can’t fill multiple times because each fill is tied to your H-debit card. If you drive a lot on freeways at 70mph, the range is 245 to 260 miles max, not the 316 advertised miles.

The maintenance is expensive at $485 per year and it’s only at the 6 or 7 CA dealerships that can lease these cars. I only pay $48/year for my other Hondas to do the annual maintenance/oil change. The $485/yr cost is ridiculous and it takes the whole day or it’s an overnight job because of labor shortage for the H-tech mechanics. The service is very friendly though.

Another negative was insurance coverage. I have a clean record and pay $750/year for our new Odyssey, but the H-Clarity insurance is $3,700/year!!! This is from All-State. Other carriers all quoted over $3k/yr for an adult with clean records. Why? They said it’s a $60k-$70k car with complex new tech, so if there is any semi-serioius accident with these cars the carriers will total the vehicle and write it off as a loss. Big surprise to me and a huge dent in my perceived savings.

Anyway, I called Honda and told them to take the lease back expecting them to fight me and force me to keep it the full 36 month term, but the Honda Rep said sure and took the lease back. Honda said many customers have been returning the cars. So, my negative experience is not unique.

To sum up, people should know some of the negatives about these cars. I was a huge fan of electric and Hydrogen, but I didn’t know or expect these negatives and people should know. This H-car caused me a lot of anxiety and I would not buy or lease another one unless they have 10x more H stations and the performance and range are improved.

7 Likes

We had similar experience, H2 station isn’t ready for full throttle commercialization. Good tech, but most of the people will have issues with them.

Nothing can be worse than

---- YOU HAVE 5 MILES left in H2 tank, as your car entering the station, you noticed that that the station is down. Trust me guys, at least in SoCAL, this is happening everyday. Picture attached for this afternoon in Diamond Bar (shows H2

available before we go there)

1 Like

Another note on range and cost per mile. These H cars have a 5kg max capacity. H is sold by weight. 1kg of H is $15 to $18, so it costs $75 to $90 to fill up. If the pump let’s you put in that much (the pumps will limit you to 1kg or 2kg if their inventory is low). Since the range is 265 to 280 miles per tank on the freeway, each kg of H translates to 53 to 56 miles of range. So, each mile costs about 0.33, but all these fillups are covered by the free $15k debit card sent by Toyota. Hope this helps if you’re trying to compare gas cost with H.

2 Likes

Responding on the insurance part, we just added our 2021 Mirai to our Geico plan with two other cars. It was ~$500 more for 6 months. I’m talking about decent coverage of 300k/500k/100k, 500/100 deductible/comprehensive, and 1500 rental for 30 days.

1 Like

Please update in a year or so. Def interesting in hearing more experiences (b/c, like you, I might be willing to deal w/ some issues for what amounts to a Lexus at an extreme discount).

2 Likes

My friends who bought it for 10k after they came out of lease from Toyota are super satisfied. Too bad I already have 2 cars while I drive less than 1000 miles/month else would’ve got this just for the sake along with the bolt

I also live in San Jose. Can I ask which dealer do you get your car from?

Thank you

I just checked with my insurance (AAA). Toyota Mirai will cost me $1735 a year for full coverage, $300K/$500K liability, $100K property damage etc… It is not so bad, cheaper than my 2021 Highlander Platinum which is over $1800 a year.

Responded to your message.

Has anyone here had experience at the Harris Ranch (I-5) stop during holidays? We make the drive from Sacramento to LA pretty frequently and am curious about the wait times.

I am also curious about the Harris Ranch. I am not worry about the wait times. I want to know if it has any frequent downtime or fuel shortage.

Almost all H station go down for 1 reason or another. So you always have to be prepared for that.

There are 5 stations within 30 miles of our location. Here is my brief experience on all of those.

H2 will be down, it can range anything from couple hours to several weeks (you can check the status online , it’s accurate 90% of the time, it’s those 10% you need to be cautious on)

There will be downtime during H2 tank refill, usually it’s around 30 to 45 mins

There will be H2 supplier shortage downtime (usually in a week or two)

There will be running out of h2 , next delivery will be tomorrow downtime

1 to 5 mins of cooldown time after each complete refuel during busy hours

There will be POS error downtime (you have to call them to reset the POS system)

There will be Nozzle error downtime (Honda Clarity has this issue for months before they resolve that in Diamond Bar)

Downtime peaks during summer season where H2 cooling system failed the most, you should be expecting at least 1 day of downtime per week on busy stations (Probably better if you are in NorCal)

Overall, you should be expecting at least 15% of the time you won’t get your H2 on time. If you can live with that, you are getting by far the most cost efficient transportation in the history per mile wise

Hope this helps.

Jason .

5 Likes

I purchased the 2021 Mirai last Friday and thought I could share some experience:

Purchasing:

• I took the black XLE w/ advanced tech package + some accessories (carpet etc.)
  • MSRP (with accessory) is 52,169 and I got a $1500 discount, with OTD price of 56,200. I have to pay 9.5% local tax on the purchasing price before the rebate (could someone confirm that?)
  • After the 20,000 manufacturer’s rebate, and $5,000 down by credit card, I financed 31,200 through Toyota for 72 months with 0 APR (monthly payment about $430)
  • I have applied the CVRP for $4,500. I am also counting on the $8,000 federal tax credit next year.
  • I got a fuel card with $15,000 in it and the dealer told me it is good for 6 years.
  • I also applied for the california HOV sticker

I have been driving a GTI and a GLC300. The Mirai’s ride quality is pretty good, very quite and comfortable, even better than the GLC. It is a large vehicle from outside and hard to maneuver in tight parking spaces. However, the interior space is really limited. No way to sit three people in the back. But the rear seat is comfortable. The truck space is also very limited.

I visited the hydrogen gas station once and used the fuel card to add 1/3 tank of hydrogen, which cost $30. A full tank of hydrogen gives me the range of 320miles according to the onboard computer.

Power is good for city driving by petrol vehicle standard, but not comparable with Tesla-like EVs. Overall a comfortable commuter car.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that I can answer. If you are also interested in getting one, I will be happy to refer you and it looks like we will both get a $400 gift card.

7 Likes

Can you post a photo of the estimated range w/ a full tank? Right now I get 200 with a full tank on my 2019 Mirai.

2 Likes

Wait for the deals when basically they will pay you to drive these cars (seen that historically after all incentives applied).