2021 Tesla Model Y - Finance Question - What's Your Opinion of this Idea?

With CVAP/CVRP grants that you qualify for, the Bolt will be a money maker (assuming you qualify for all the other Chevy incentives).

1 Like

You need to decide what to goal is here…make money or drive a nicer car. If you want money than probably a base 3 will be a better option. The Bolt will be cheap but the RV we already know doesn’t hold so you won’t have much equity when you sell. As others said, there are no guarantees what RVs will be in 3 years but if you have to bet on something to hold their value then only Tesla makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks Mark.ca. I’d like to drive the nicer car… and it’s not about making money, but getting a good deal where I could maybe break even or not that spend much in the end. I wish the CVRP rebate included nicer cars like the Model X or S. Seems like the nicest car option they offer is the Tesla Model Y. Or would I be better off skipping CVRP and just using the CVAP for a down payment on a lease for a BMW X3 E or something like that?

That won’t be a good deal at that point. If you want a nice car, open to leasing and like the Y then lease one. You won’t be able to sell it at the end of lease but monthly cost should be relatively low…under $400/mo net after all rebates. Spend some time searching this forum for other evs, maybe an Etron would appeal to you too.

Do you think leasing a Model Y makes more sense than financing it? Everything I’ve read says leasing a Tesla is a bad idea and the financing is a smarter move.

It says the lease cost after the rebates net is $ 499 per month and I think that’s before taxes and fees.

NO.

With MASSIVE downpayment.

My man, if you want brutal financial advice, I don’t recommend the Tesla Model Y/X/3/S in any way shape or fashion.

1 Like

There are a lot of nicer cars (than the Model Y) for $50k, IMO. However, if you are looking for an EV, then your options are limited. I would suggest picking a car you would enjoy driving. As far as leasing a Tesla, don’t expect any deals.

2 Likes

Which in his case is canceled by the CVAP almost entirely since the real down is around $6k…the CVRP and utility takes another $150 of the monthly…so the net will be low 400s for Y. I think $400/mo is worth it for that car…would i do this? Fuck no! I would probably get paid to drive the Bolt in his case.

2 Likes

I’ve seen better fit and finish in a Nissan Altima than a MY.

1 Like

I haven’t…are we talking about QC now? I thought this was about money…

Alright… I don’t want to drive a Nissan or a Chevy or a Kia. Sorry. Just wanted to know if financing or leasing the Tesla Y or 3 makes the most sense? Or skip the CVRP and use the CVAP 5 grand to lease an X3 or something like that?

1 Like

Don’t forget that with the CVAP you also get a $1,000 charge card/credit for EvGo/Charge Point chargers and a portable Level 2 charger ($500 Retail price-I just received mine yesterday) or $2,000 towards installation of home charging station…

CVAP or CVRP-you have to have the car for 30 months in order to use the full benefit of the grant/rebate or transfer it to a new vehicle right away, otherwise it is pro-rated

What some folks don’t understand about those programs is that your “INCOME” has nothing to do with it-as you can claim last year’s Tax returns or this year’s pay stubs to whichever is lower and it’s perfectly legal either way… they’re on a “NEED TO KNOW BASIS, AND THEY DON’T NEED TO KNOW”

I will say that-whatever your GUT tells you-that’s what you should do, nobody, and I mean NOBODY here knows what your “real” financial situation is, and if you can afford it-go for the Y, heck you’re already $11,500 ahead with FREE money (including the EvGo $1K)

Like one member here said he “LECTURED” me on my financial decisions when I posted about my purchase :rofl: :face_vomiting: :wink:

I am very happy with my Tesla 3 purchase, Tesla financial was very slow in submitting the CVAP paperwork (I called them a couple of times to make sure they submit it) so 2 months later it was finalized and I could claim the part two of the grant ($1,000 charge card and level 2 charger)
CVRP was a very quick approval and check was mailed fast too, you can claim One EV and One Fuel Cell vehicle per lifetime so a Toyota Mirai, Hyundai NEXO or Honda Clarity for the CVRP rebate ( FC vehicle gets you $7,000 with low income)

The CVAP combined MPG for PHEV ratings have increased for 2021 model years to 45MPG so a BMW X3e may not qualify as it only has 17 miles on electric and 340 total miles on a 13.2 gal tank

If you are debating between leasing and purchasing a Tesla-Purchase would be the way to go… as you will still have equity in it after 30 months, remember that 30 months from now and chime in here again :innocent:

Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

1 Like

They use the combined MPGe, any phev should qualify. In August I got this response from them.

“Thank you for your question, we used the combined city/hwy MPGe for plug in hybrids. So in example, take this Honda Clarity Plug In hybrid – we would use the MPGe, which in this case is 110.”

1 Like

Exactly, just have to know the rules. This is how I got a hyundai ioniq phev for 11k, pending rebates/credit. I’ll do a write up on it tomorrow.

1 Like

I got CVAP pre approved.

1 Like

Off-topic: are you the infamous hedgefundie of HFEA fame?

1 Like

Cool-just read the full implementation manual (which many ignore to go through) so you can know the rules and regulations. It is at the bottom of their website lower left and enjoy that Y (as long as you keep it under $60K MSRP your CVRP is good to go too)