2021 Subaru Crosstrek finally gets a little more power

1 Like

Read this yesterday, I think it’s great news. The engine is the only complaint I ever hear about the Crosstrek.

In fairness I think a few people also complain about the CVT although for most drivers it’s perfectly fine. A 310bhp one would be insane and sell quite well although it won’t happen. We aren’t that lucky. A budget version of GLA45 basically.

More importantly I think Subaru needs to hurry up with better hybrid/PHEV models though. It would appeal to the typical Subaru buyer - especially the pacific northwest, rugged looks and AWD for their ‘active lifestyle’ but PHEV ability for being stuck in Seattle traffic.

1 Like

Ironic how many turbo-charged 4 cylinder motors Subaru USED to use when no one else was using them. Now nearly all manufacturers are using them on their 4 cylinder motors.

The 2.0 presently in the Crosstrek would be great with a small turbo. It doesn’t need WRX boost. A small turbo would be much more efficient than the 2.5 naturally aspirated they are going to use.

An effectively “WRX” version of the Crosstrek would cost more than the WRX, considering Subaru prices crosstreks above Imprezas

I don’t see Subaru building it, because the number of new buyers (net of people who would otherwise have bought a WRX) would be pitifully low.

1 Like