2021 Nissan LEAF vs. 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV

The article suggests both cars are very comparable / equal, but I think the Leaf’s safety & driver assist features w/ ProPILOT are a big advantage over the Ioniq’s Tech.

I wonder what kind of lease deals they’re getting in the Philippines.

1 Like

The Limited trim of the Ioniq EV is equipped with “Highway Drive Assist” AKA what I call “Jesus Take the Wheel”.

The SE trim still includes impressive standard lane-keeping and adaptive cruise tech, but the “robot’s grip” on the steering wheel is “tighter” in the Limited, with HDA turned on, if that makes any sense.

It’s a pretty jarring experience in the Limited , even after driving Hyundai’s other version of the system, especially when you are jamming out to the Carrie Underwood song in question, and she belts out “I’m letting gooo…” as the car grips its own wheel tightly and flings you around a banked curve on I-287 at highway speeds.

I could see the nomenclature and settings around these features being really confusing, and varying a lot between individual cars and trim levels, even when the manufacturer uses the same name. If we could find the time, I’d love to partner with @aronchi and produce a video that more intimately compares the two cars. They’re a tight match! It may just come down to personal preference, and who has the best deal at the time you need a car!

EDIT: Just realized these videos are almost exactly the same length and can be played at the same time.

1 Like

Ionia appears to get hyundai’s HDA/acc/lfa system, which is a fantastic system and better than what I have seen from the Nissan system.

Edit: @AA-NJ beat me to it

1 Like

I still have one for 39 bucks!

4 Likes

how is that still not sold is beyond me…

one is sold. second one isn’t yet. not nearly as good of a leaf month as last month.

I have the Highway drive assist on my Kia (Assuming it’s the same software as the hyundai). It’s really scary as it is basically telling me I’m a bad driver by not staying in the center.

And as far as I can tell it doesn’t handle sharp turns very well.

all of the leafs i have sold have propilot assist, which is actually pretty good. nissan rolled this out a couple of years ago and included it in the qx50. in addition to the driver assist features and ACC, these things are pretty well optioned for a $50/month payment.

They are not all the same system. On a 2020 Hyundai Kona EV Ultimate, fully loaded $47k sticker, the system will bounce you between lane markers and beep at you to drive straight.

On the 2020 Ioniq Limited with the $39k MSRP, the system firmly grasps the wheel and takes corners.

I agree that the messaging around which car has what is extremely confusing. You really don’t know until you test drive the specific make, model, trim level, and review that you’ve set everything up correctly.

Does the Kona get HDA/LFA or only the LKA system? What you’re describing sounds like the LKA system rather than the LFA system.

(Same question applies to Forbs’s Kia)

And yes, Hyundai does a horrible job in their advertisements of differentiating these systems, especially when you’re talking about HDA vs having ACC/LFA/LKA all included.

I think Kona Ultimate gets ACC/LFA/LKA, while Kona Limited gets FCW/LKA only.
Ioniq Limited gets all of them: ACC/LFA/LKA/HDA, where HDA, AKA Carrie Underwood, really takes it up a notch from “driver assist” to “you are merely a passenger in the driver seat”.

It wouldn’t surprise me if I messed them up in this post. Someone can please correct me.

Tl~dr: Fully loaded Ioniq and Palisade have full blown “Jesus Take the Wheel” - other KIA/Hyundai models have less aggressive versions of the technology: more focused around safety than autonomy.

So I have HDA on my Palisade, and if you go by the manual, it only adds one feature, which is the self adjusting ACC speed to match changing highway speed limits… as long as you keep to the ACC set to the speed limit. Carrie Underwood mode is captured by ACC and LFA, which you get on the Palisade plebeian trim levels.

Now, that’s what the manual says. In reality, it does more. HDA, for example, will extend the amount of time that one can go handsfree without the system yelling at you. This can be easily tested by enabling and disabling HDA on the same stretch of road. It’ll still do all the same steering inputs for you, but the amount of time before it’ll yell extends from ~10 seconds to up to several minutes. Hyundai does not advertise this difference.

The new sonata HDA system is supposed to also incorporate navigation data for responding to upcoming curves in the road better. I don’t know if that gets passed down to other models (Ioniq/Palisade) during software updates or not.

Any crazy good leaf deals for an az resident?