2021 Highlander Hybrid Lease Buyout

Hi Hackrs!

I just wrapped up a 36K / 36mo lease on a 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE Hybrid. I’ve got exactly 36K miles on it. I really like the car and am deciding if I should buy it to keep or buy it and sell to roll into another lease of a mid-size SUV (3 row). I would also consider a used XC90 or a new CX-90.

My option to buy is $30.8K and I got a $34K CarMax offer.

Thanks!

Don’t buy a used XC90.

Check the Marketplace for CX90 (there are also some Pathfinder and Telluride listings if those interest you).

Check the wiki on how to value your car and try to get the dealer who’s selling the car you want to match the highest bid

2 Likes

Much appreciated on the wiki guidance!

Im in the same position. I like the 2021 highlander hybrid xle but already hear a bunch of rattling plastic components and may need to switch tires out soon. Im here in socal and need to bring the car to carmax but the online estimate is saying 34.4k. Payoff is similar to yours

Cash them out and lease again! Use the equity to make payments and don’t use it reduce the cap cost.

I suggest buying it. We had a 2021 XLE hybrid that we were paying $399 and traded it in May with only 12k miles. My wife loved it, but wanted more space, so we went back to an Ascent ( we had a 19 before the highlander). My wife misses her highlander and I just went shopping for one yesterday. No one has hybrids, but I looked at the XLE front wheel drive and a limited all wheel drive gas models on the lot. The dealer quoted me $869 to lease the front wheel drive XLE. We did walk away with a $9k check when we traded the highlander, but we should have kept it. Leasing the highlander now is actually more expensive than buying.

We have 2021 HH Limited and lease is up in March, (39 month). I have about $4500 equity. Haven’t decided if I’m buying it or cashing out. I have 41000 miles on it and recently hat to put new tires on at $1000 from Costco. That was painful. But cheaper no brand tires were only $300 less.

That was a good decision. Don’t regret it.

1 Like