2021 Edition of "Who has the best lane keeping assist?"

Driving from FL to NY with this was invaluable and to be honest, safer. It allowed longer, safer driving… and was a god send in stop and go traffic. As I said, with the comma.ai device the car (honda) steers and does gas/break all the way down to zero and back up to xxmph without any intervention. It has sensors that watch your face and make sure you are paying attention. I will never go back to a regular car now…

Ah yes the WNA aka Wife Nag Alert. Safety and convenience features are great. If I am on the highway and I see a bunch of drivers with their faces buried in their phones bc the car is “self-driving” that is when the concern starts.

3 Likes

Okay this makes more sense. As long as someone is paying attention and can intervene to avoid something we are all good here.

You will no matter what. There are people out there who will abuse anything. Especially self driving since there are a few Tesla videos out there.

You can’t idiot proof anything 100% as the idiots don’t know or don’t care that it’s there to save their lives.

1 Like

Have three different brands within the same household Volvo, BMW, and Hyundai. Have driven all three vehicles using their systems. From worst to best would be BMW, Volvo, Hyundai. Tesla is also up there but I don’t own nor have I ever driven one before.

Crazy how the cheapest brand works the best. Had a rental Hyundai that blew me away. Which is what led to my Honda…

I have driven this in both the audi acura and Volvo, the Acura was 3 years ago and it impressed me a lot but the newest volvo I just leased is awesome at it.

I have experience with Hyundai (Palisade) and Volvo (XC60). I gotta give the win to the Volvo when it comes to LKA and HDA. While the nanny on the Palisade is much more lenient in terms of keeping hands on the steering wheel, I feel the Hyundai system is too abrupt with braking and accelerating in stop and go. The Volvo eases itself into an opening in the traffic and reads traffic better when needing to slow down. I find the Hyundai, while good, is a bit harsh.

While the Volvo system is very much up there the reason I placed it under the Hyundai is that it tends to be a tad bit naggier on long trips. Yet I still daily the Volvo more than I drive the Hyundai. Recently Kia/Hyundai Group has been releasing some great tech especially the Blind Spot view monitor which is an amazing feature to have.

Yeah, I’m not worried about the nagging of the whatever system, comma ai takes care of that. As long as you are looking forward you are good, I didn’t touch the wheel for an hour or more at times going through nothern FL, GA, SC and NC

You know you can adjust how aggressively it responds, right?

It’s the family car and my wife is the daily driver, but I’m pretty sure I had set it to low when we first got it. We juat got back from a NY to MD trip where I used it a lot, so I will have to take a look and try it out again to see if the setting was changed. Thanks for the RTFM reminder :rofl::wink:

1 Like

I always liked the fact that I could change it, because I find most systems to be too harsh.

1 Like

Is this the one that Honda had like 6 years ago? A camera on the side mirror (only passenger side for Honda). I’ll never understand why they got rid of it. I’m sure cost cutting reasons. It was so nice when changing lanes, etc.

It nags you if you take your hands of the wheel for two seconds. Despite having a camera to monitor your eyes. It has extreme difficulty staying in the lane on any kind of turn and tends to pin ball. Breaking and accelerating are not smooth either.

To be clear I am talking about the semi autonomous functions in the driver assistance pro not just the lane keep.

1 Like

Not really. This has nothing to do with cost of the vehicle and everything to do with the skill of the people making and testing the systems. Korea is world leader in technology.

I use the BMW system in highway stop and go traffic every day, have been since the day I got my M340. I agree about the nagging, and the need for almost constant hands on the wheel except when using the traffic jam assist feature below 40mph.

But, I’ve found that putting the car in Eco Pro mode fixes all my issues with the smoothness, it dials down the aggressiveness and gives me better fuel economy. And it uses the regenerative braking more, so it’s better for your brake pad life.

The way I see it, I’m not enjoying the driving dynamics of the car when using “autopilot”, so might as well make it more efficient when it’s being used.

2 Likes

Great idea. I am going to try eco pro when using the semi autonomous driving. I’ve never used that drive mode before. Didn’t buy an M340 for the economy :grinning:

IIRC, Honda’s system only showed the passenger side blind spot when indicating right and displayed on the center infotainment screen.

I guess people didn’t like the asymmetry of having no equivalent for the left side? I recall reading somewhere that Honda weren’t able to implement a dual system because it took the drivers eye from the intuitive (looking thru the drivers side window and the left side mirror) in the opposite direction (towards the center screen).

Hyundai’s system, if it’s like Kia’s, will show either side depending on which turn signal is activated and will display it on the gauge cluster.

1 Like

I’d say there’s also likely an element of risk appetite relative to government regulations at play here too - BMW had much more advanced near-L3 tech back in 2014, and yet here we are 7+ years later with just an L2esque DAP in the wild to show for it.

Imo that has to be connected to the Germans’ risk threshold relative to Elon’s renegade approach of releasing beta features into the wild…