2021 Edition of "Who has the best lane keeping assist?"

I hate steering on the highway, I’ve got one of those Comma 2 devices that drove the car the entire east coast this past summer, it was great!!

Now tired of my Honda Accord Sport (25k miles, 2 years in on a 3 year 15k lease)…looking for an suv or small truck.

I’ve already put feelers out for the Hyndai truck and the honda truck… now looking at Suv’s…

Back when I did this 2 years ago the three mentioned above were the best Lane keeping systems because they basically drive for you.

Has there been any change ?? Not talking about luxury cars… any and all help appreciated. Thank you!

What was mentioned above?

I have used it on BMW Volvo and Hyundai Palisade and I am blown away by how good it is on the Hyundai. Their semi autonomous driving I can go long stretches on the highway with never touching the wheel and it doesn’t nag you. Volvo is OK BMW sucks

I’ve got a Highlander and it’s pretty good, gotta thumb the wheel every little bit. Just did a 3,000 mile road trip and it was very nice.

Mazda is garbage, it let’s you know you’re going out of the lane, and kind of nudges you back but you still just go out of your lane.

Honda, Hyundai, Kia

The best right now is Tesla, then Hyundai/kia.

Tesla is better overall but Hyundais come with some features like auto lane change that Tesla doesn’t have in the basic autopilot that comes with the car.

4 Likes

Ah that’s good to know - so toyota has entered the arena of “self driving” - do you know what they specifically call it? I’m not looking for the budge you back into your lane. I’m looking for the sit back and relax version.

Honda doesn’t deserve to be in even the same conversation as Hyundai, etc

2 Likes

Honda + comma.ai is as close as a tesla that you can get right now. The thing is the comma device works in other cars too. Just need to know which ones have the capability. Adding toyota to the list.

1 Like

agree, till you add this. Then it works as a tesla does…but not full self driving with stop signs and lights. https://comma.ai/

I think it’s called “Lane Tracing Assist”

The Toyota turns the wheel, it can take some pretty decent turns too.

The highway it was great, construction was awesome, the car stayed in lane and when traffic got moving I just hit the resume button and it followed along.

Just curious why? I’m perfectly happy with the version that came in a driving assistance package (whatever it was called). On a highway good, in traffic good, what was the issue that you’ve observed? Granted I was coming from Acura version, which calling it garbage would be insulting to garbage.

Volvo’s is pretty good, but I don’t have much else to compare it to. Came from a Honda, which can’t compete. Have also heard that Hyundai’s is good too, as others mentioned.

My Hyundai Kona LKA is such a odd beast. Daytime it’s finiky but at night it shines.

It really hates Yellow stripes and ignores them.

they must have trained it in LA

1 Like

Am I the only one who is concerned that we just don’t want to put our hands on the steering wheel anymore? If I am then just tell me to shut my stupid face.

3 Likes

I won’t say it because you are interpreting this wrong.
It’s a Feature of the car, and it gets used. Are you complaining that Cruise control means we are getting lazy at putting our foot on the pedal, or that A/C means we are whiners about the temp outside?

It’s a feature, and we paid for it. Is it a great feature? For a Tesla or the Bolt EUV, maybe, for my Kona? Nah.

On the OTHER hand it gives my wife hours of enjoyment that she gets to point out to me that I am drifting each time the car takes control or sends the beep that I have crossed a line when we drive long distance.

Driving from FL to NY with this was invaluable and to be honest, safer. It allowed longer, safer driving… and was a god send in stop and go traffic. As I said, with the comma.ai device the car (honda) steers and does gas/break all the way down to zero and back up to xxmph without any intervention. It has sensors that watch your face and make sure you are paying attention. I will never go back to a regular car now…

Ah yes the WNA aka Wife Nag Alert. Safety and convenience features are great. If I am on the highway and I see a bunch of drivers with their faces buried in their phones bc the car is “self-driving” that is when the concern starts.

3 Likes

Okay this makes more sense. As long as someone is paying attention and can intervene to avoid something we are all good here.