2021 BMW xDrive M Sport. Did I get hosed? (New Jersey)

Really? It’s a lease… they’ll fix it and you’ll have your car back. I wouldn’t entertain the lemon law aspect at this point.

Hopefully they gave you loaner that is equivalent or greater than the 540 M in the interm

Yes…whenever Ive had BMWs in the shop (which honestly is often…these things are not trouble free), I always tell them to take their sweet time in fixing it. I enjoy their free loaner cars which are almost always better than the car I gave them. “The parts have to come from Germany? No problem!”

2 Likes

And, I agree that this deal was not total hoseage.

Why not? It’s good to start getting the documentation ducks in a row and an opportunity to recoup cost. I’m not paying a lease price on a new car so I can drive a beat up rental.

1 Like

I’m sure the dealership will put him in a equivalent vehicle such as a 540 M sport etc while the vehicle is being repaired.

OP id def ask to be in a similar car (M550i) or something like a 7 series etc

Just because the car blew its water pump and caused overheating/engine failure doesn’t cause for immediate lemon law.

Obviously anyone would be upset if they received a base 2 series or stripper 330i lol

Thanks guys. Initially they told me that they didn’t have any loaner cars and told me to call Enterprise. I told them no way, find me a loaner, I just paid $699 last week I’m not about to drive a Ford Fusion for 1 month. So the next day they gave me a damn X2 lol. After driving that for a day, I called them and told them that the X2 was too small, so they gave me a baseline 530, and that’s what I’ve been driving for a few days now.

Should I ask for another upgrade?

What is the ETA expectation they have given you on the repair?

And, did you actually have a catarrophic engine failure due to the failed water pump?

No, but 30 days in the shop does in most states

2 Likes

It appears they are not.

3 Likes

This is correct @Mclennon .

A quick look at NJ lemon law says after 20 days out of service you can send a certified letter to the manufacturer, which once received, gives them 10 calendar days to fix the problem. You don’t want to wait to send that certified letter since the clock doesn’t start running on those ten days until you send it. You can always allow them to take longer to fix it if you so choose. Sending the letter just keeps your options open.

Now for the loaner, you can explain to the dealer that you will be less likely to lemon law the car if they give you a good loaner. That may well help but may also make the situation a little tense. If you email BMW USA and say that absent a good loaner you intend to lemon law this car on the first possible day if they can’t get it fixed, I’d guess the dealer will be very upset with you but also offer you a very nice loaner after the GM gets a unpleasant call from someone at US HQ.

3 Likes

I really wish that’s how it worked.

Volvo V60CC wagon, gone but not forgotten :frowning:

(I actually did get really nice loaners though, xc90 inscription, v90, a used s90, and a xc40 r design).

OP hopefully has contacted a lemon law lawyer in their appropriate jurisdiction, their entire job is to reach an amicable and appropriate settlement for OP.

This isn’t a small problem, and while you hope it will be fixed for good at the end, who knows. :man_shrugging:t2:

I think OP got a bad car (it happens). If the deal can’t be reproduced now, I’d pursue a collateral exchange. Otherwise a buyback and start over.

You guys seem to be way more difficult to deal with :joy:

What is the male version of a Karen? :rofl::rofl:

Give them a chance to fix the car before jumping the gun sheesh…

It’s a car, shit happens. Hans over in Munich had a long night of drinking one night and forget to tighten a bolt on a 5 series water pump.

If the dealer is not accommodating, I can see why getting your panties in a bunch is warranted.

OP good luck ! :+1:

1 Like

This is why you lease BMW’s. Can you imagine the resale value hit this thing is going to take from having a replacement engine?! :no_mouth:

1 Like

Exactly…

They were given a chance, said it would be a month+, and offered a rental spec ford fusion. $700+/mo to drive a rental ford fusion is unacceptable and not accommodating.

Pursuing a lemon is simply acting within the framework in place. It’s just business.

6 Likes

This isn’t male Karen behavior at all…

You pay good money for a product, you deserve to use it, and not some Ford Fusion.

2 Likes

Just try escalating within the dealership first. You’d be surprised at what a little persistence and persuasion can do.

During the Takata airbag recall fiasco I had a 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD. The Acura dealer tried to put me into a Nissan Versa rental. I talked with the service manager and then the GM of the dealership, and ended up in a brand new TLX V6 loaner. I put 11k miles on it in 3 months :upside_down_face: I even paid for an oil change out of pocket because I felt so bad that I had it for so long :laughing:

5 Likes

:flushed: I see why you bought the manual accord now!

2 Likes

Agreed! My 8GC was in shop for a few weeks waiting on part from Germany. Dealer tried to put me into an X1. Told them if not another 8, I’ll be taking that X7 while the part was on it’s way…enjoyed those few weeks in the X7, lol!

3 Likes