2021 BMW i3 Deal Check (financed purchase)

Not a lease deal, but hopefully you all can give some input:

2021 BMW i3 BEV fully loaded (metallic paint, Tera World, moonroof, premium sound, heat pump, wireless charging, tech/driving assistant, parking assistant)

MSRP $54k
Incentives $11k
Dealer discount $4k
VA dealer fees $900 (hate VA’s lack of doc fee cap, but not many loaded models out there it seems, so not much I could do)

$39.9k plus taxes/registration, financed with zero down at 0.9% for 60 mo. I keep cars for a long time—I’ve had the car this is replacing for almost 14 years.

Also not factoring in the $7,500 federal EV rebate, which I qualify for.

1 Like

I :heart::heart::heart: the i3, and have had half a dozen of them, but…

I would not buy one to hold for another decade (or any longish term). They are admittedly old EV tech now (hate saying it but its true…my 2020 Bolt was a better EV…)

As such, paying $40k for one of these would not be something I would do (and it hurts my heart to even say it as these are quirky eccentric cars, but ones whos time has passed).

3 Likes

I totally agree with @spockvr6 on this one. (I also leased 2 of these). You definitely want to go the lease route for this vehicle. Their resale value also dips hard unless there will be an I3 nostalgia in a few years which I can’t see with the EV tech evolving fast. And I doubt you can hold on to this one for 14 years…
Edit: the incentives already include the 7500 which you will get in tax credits for purchasing or built in the price if you lease…You won’t have an extra 7500 rebate later on.

1 Like

Thanks! Happy with the car so far either way.

How do you figure the incentives already include the $7,500 federal tax rebate? It’s between the first retail owner and the federal government, which plays no role during the purchase. I understand with leases the manufacturer’s leasing entity (as the first owner in that case) can kick in some or all of its tax rebate to the lessee in the form of incentives, but with a purchase, it doesn’t get claimed until I (as the owner in my case) file my tax return for 2021. So I’ll have to wait a few months, but I do have another $7,500 coming. There was proposed legislation that would change things such that the rebate would get applied at the point of sale to streamline things, but that didn’t end up getting enacted.

1 Like

They’re assuming your “$11k incentives” is a $7500 pass-through of the federal tax rebate, plus other incentives stacked on top.

I’m guessing you qualified for the standalone $11k “corporate discount.” If so, congrats! Yes, you will still be able to claim the $7500 tax rebate when you file with IRS.

At $54k MSRP, even diehard i3 fans (like myself) must admit it’s not a great value when compared to the current market of EV cars. But, subtract $22.5k and it becomes a fun, quirky EV bargain. :blue_car:

1 Like

Right around the starting price of its successor, the MINI Cooper E!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.