2021 BMW 330i - Alpine White with M-Sport and Premium Package (pending deal)

Yeah, tell him you don’t want the MF marked up lol

I did and he didn’t budge. :disappointed:

Then tell him you want a bigger discount. .00040 mark up is equivalent to 2% off msrp

Are all the charges legit based on the breakdown? I will ask for add’l 2% discount but i just don’t want to go back & forth with the dealer. I’d like to reply to him with my best counter offer and go from there. Thanks

It’s starting to get towards month end. I’d push for 12-12.5% (settle on 12% off ) with a base MF.

Tell him you’ll sign otherwise you’ll move on. It’s a 330i . Plenty of these available.

Unfortunately that’s the best you’ll get as BMWs aren’t leasing that well.

You could look for an loaner to save some money. There are 2021 loaners out there. Or even Look for a 2020 loaner which should yield a bigger discount/better deal. Same car except I believe the 2021’s have Apple Car Key .

Got it. Will check on other options you suggested. Thanks

If you know all the inputs I will make offer with DAS and monthly, no sense in telling dealer what to do. Taking markup rate with bigger discount is OK. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I think it’s a mistake to buy from this dealer. There’s no reason to buy from them when they’re marking up the money factor to the maximum allowed (literally, they cannot mark it up any higher) unless you’re getting an enormous discount to offset it.

Don’t be an enabler by awarding business to greedy dealerships who mark up the money factor as high as they possibly can. Take your business to a dealership that deserves it.

steps off soapbox

2 Likes

Agreed. Working on it still. I’ll wait for the right deal I’m comfortable with.

I share the same opinion. Over the years (and I have leased probably 50+ cars…Im pretty pitiful…) I have learned that most of the time, things work out better if you give the dealer the perceived power.

What I mean by this is, when one goes in displaying that they know every little intricacy of how the deal can be structured (and Im not saying we as the customer should not know that, only that it can be wise to not voluntarily demonstrate this knowledge), the dealer can many times be taken aback a bit. The relationship can turn adversarial quickly. I personally like to ensure that the dealer feels that they were in control of the deal (even though I know that they really werent…I just gave them the perceived flexibility to get there they way they wanted to).

The short story is, one is not going to get the highest discount ever seen for a given model at a given time, the lowest dealer fees ever seen, along with base MF at the same time. As such, if one can figure out what the possible configurations are to get to the desired end point (and yes this means making a DAS and monthly payment offer to the dealer), one may have a better chance of having success. The reality is, 99% of dealers talk this language anyway (i.e. “what do you want your payment to be?”). Its (generally) impossible for us to know if a given dealer on a given car at a given time would prefer a front or back end loser. IMO, Id rather have them figure that out. How they get there is how they get there. In the end, the lease cost is the same with base MF and smaller discount as it is with jacked MF and bigger discount.

6 Likes

Yeah…for new 2021 right now you are going to be handcuffed a bit. There are still some good deals out there (broker postings are pretty decent), but if you are shooting for a deal that will make LH’ers go “whoa”, then looking at a leftover 2020 demo/loaner is probably the ticket. These are def getting more scarce however, but there are still some out there. You will absolutely get a higher discount %, but of course remember to normalize that discount for the demo/loaner miles.

Personally, over the past few years, I havent even bothered chasing BMWs that were not demo/loaners.

1 Like

This should be stickied

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head. Very well said. I often find that with some dealers and deals, this is the better approach. More psychological than anything else, but it works. I’ve found some of my best deals have been ones where I provided the DAS and desired payment to the dealer after having worked out behind the scenes what it would look like to get there. I believe a fellow trusted hacker recently achieved his goal using this approach on an M235i lease with a crazy $399 payment all in :slight_smile:

Definitely the case, if you go in with guns blazing with all calculator inputs, dealers will react negatively. Act like a normal buyer and offer DAS and monthly, likelihood of further negotiations and closing the deal are definitely higher.

IMO, when you are going into someones “house” (and going into the dealership fray is one going into their house), if one (who in the dealers eyes is a newb) comes in and tries to completely rewrite the rules, its generally not going to go over well. The analogous situation might be someone here with a 2 post count starting a thread telling everyone else why they are doing this or that wrong, etc. It will float like the proverbial lead balloon (and the roasting will start).

So, as the dealer has crafted this game over decades of times (with much practice and fine honing of their skills), it seems better to me to play the game using their rules so to speak, and never appearing to know more than they might. There would seem to be no objective advantage to that. If ones goal is to “show the dealer up” fine, but thats probably not going to get you the best deal.

Also, IMO its also better to create a relationship with a dealer that is long term and that can only happen if the relationship is not adversarial. I like having sales guys at various dealerships text me just for fun :slight_smile: They are keeping their eyes out for me.

And BTW, it was $389 on the effective payment, LOL. It was a zero drive off, so the dealer made the first $399, LOL.

1 Like

I agree. I used to sooooooo overthink this stuff. Just calculate out whats possible (use various combinations of discount, MFs, know the rebates, etc etc), use other recent deals as a rough guide, and make an offer that does not cause the dealer more effort to translate than necessary.

99.9% of the time to keep it as simple as possible I just ask for a zero drive off structure and a monthly payment number as it leaves the dealer the maximum flexibility to have control. Want to throw in a $999 dealer fee? Fine. Want to add upholstery protection? Fine. Want to include lifetime muffler bearing replacements? Fine. Want to mark the MF to the max? Fine. However they want to show their profit makes no difference in my overall cost.

2 Likes

Another thought, and this is one of my personal little tricks---------

100 times out of 100 times, with the same overall lease cost over the term, I will take a lower sales price in exchange for a marked up MF versus base MF and higher sales price.

2 Likes