2020 VW Tiguan Lease Buyout (SoCal)

Check with PDR guys. They might be able to fix it without respraying it.

This?

2024 Niro EV Wind :battery: :zap:

MSRP: $41200

$2000 due at signing
No Broker Fee

36/10k - $299 plus tax

I checked with one mobile guy. He said it was beyond his pay grade, but maybe worth another consult. The paint damage is surface level. If a good buffer wouldn’t take it out entirely, it’d make it good enough. Honestly, because of the particular form of the damage, it’s hardly noticeable. I’ve told friends about it and they answer, “Wait… where?”

Where is this being offered?

And that still equates to at least a $4,500 out of pocket (not including the dent repair). The monthly + not paying for gas is super appealing. I know nothing about the car though. Thoughts?

If you can finance it on your own ‘blank check’ style, just buy it directly from VW Credit and save yourself the nearly $1000 on fees the dealer might charge to process the buyout.

I did that with our 2019 Tiguan. Send in the forms and a cashiers check.

1 Like

Another way to look at it is if OP is already on the hook for $2400 in overages, $1000 in damage and $395 disposition, it’s only another $8200 (plus the sales tax) to just buy the whole vehicle and keep running it as is.

I’d probably just buy it and run it into the ground

How did you facilitate this? Is it as easy as just calling VW Credit?

This is what I was thinking. Wife loves the car already, no hassle, eliminate a car payment, live with the dent, etc. Perhaps when I have more free time later this year, I can look into selling it and hopefully recoup the cost of the purchase. Then start from square 1.

That said, I’m not opposed to a different option if an attractive one arises.

EDIT: Didn’t realize you’d made 2 separate replies

Not with a lemon and accident on Carfax.

Thing about it is that the lemon has only to do with CarPlay (in fact, Android still works. It’s just the Apple that won’t connect.) I’m sure there’s someone out there willing to take that hit.

And there is no accident on Carfax. She reversed into a piece of wood and it made a (albeit long) superficial dent. Unless a shop is required to report it if/when they make the fix, I don’t see how it’d show up. Note: I have no intention to deceive any future buyer about any work done, were I to do it.

So, either pay what I assume will be ~$5k in fees to return it, or pay $12,500 + tax to run it into the ground. Sound about right?

Your lemon law settlement shouldn’t show anything on CF since you got a cash settlement and not a buyback. I think it’s a lot of car for sub $15k tax inc.

I’d buy it and hold.

Assuming it’s in good mechanical shape, I’d also buy it out from VW Credit and run it to the ground. Hard to find a decent equivalent car for $12K. Plus, after a few years, the decline in resale value from the dent will probably be less than what it costs to fix it properly.

Get the payoff quote and payoff letter from the vwcredit online portal, you can download the whole packet of docs you need to fill out. Like bill of sale, odometer statement, etc.

When you send it all overnight, I’d also include the SASE, cashiers check and a separate check for $15 for them to FedEx the title back to you. If any questions or issues definitely call VW Credit, they’ll walk you through it.

1 Like

Have you had a mechanic check it out? The funny sound is more worrisome to me than anything else you’ve mentioned.

Check your lease contract. Usually there is a maximum charge per panel. I doubt it’s $1,000.

Here. I know nothing about the car. You need to do the research. But looks like you are both very happy with the Tiguan. Take it to a mechanic and buy it if it checks out.

Click on Marketplace for your state.

I don’t think anyone looks into the nuances of why it was lemoned. They just instinctively skip it

1 Like

Get some VIN-specific quotes from here to see where you really stand.

Either you can get out for less :moneybag:than paying the charges for miles & damage…. Or you’re so far underwater that it wouldn’t make sense to buy it.

Remember you only get one chance to exercise that “put option” to throw the keys back at them. Once you’re holding the bag, it’s yours.

:100:

One more reason to believe a VW is a terrible candidate to run into the ground. If it starts throwing CELs it could nickel and dime you to death.

1 Like

Very helpful! As others have suggested, I’ll first take it to a mechanic and pay to have them give it the once over. Thanks for your responses!

1 Like

Will check the contract.

Taking to a mechanic and paying for a once-over as soon as I find the time.

Thank you for the link and the insight!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.