2020 Porsche Cayenne Coupe S

Try explaining to IRS why you need a Porsche in construction (for example) business. The type of your business must justify the type of car you buy.

Can you point to the tax code that states it’s the governments job to dictate what type of vehicle you need? My understanding of the section 179 is you deduct the proportion of business use that the vehicle is used while conducting said business.

1 Like

When I was younger the grocery store I worked for, all the partners had new 911 convertibles. I don’t remember doing many deliveries in them :joy:

I’m not a CPA, so do your own research. But that’s the fact - you can’t just buy any truck for your business. Do people ignore it at their own risk? Sure, all the time.
Someone actually posted the same thing recently.
Edit: found it

Could you imagine owning a Cup Cake shop and doing deliveries in a 176k dollar Cayenne Turbo S as opposed to a 24k dollar Ford Transit Connect?

Hell, an enterprising young FBI Agent may see that as a potential for money laundering!

1 Like

If you actually deliver your cupcakes in your turbo then that is a legitimate business expense. Just make sure you keep a log of when you use it for personal vs business and only deduct the proportion that is used for business and you’ll be fine in the event of an audit.

You are missing the point (don’t know on purpose or just missing): the issue is what type of a car, not how you use it. Obviously, you have to use it mostly for business.

There has to be a tax accountant here! Would love someone to weigh in on this. But I’m almost positive

They’re not going to have a list of every profession and acceptable cars for each. Deliver cupcakes in a cayenne turbo and unless you have a wealthy spouse subsidizing you’re business losses, you won’t be in business long…

Do I need an i8 to travel to my rental properties each week? No. But I do use it to do so. Therefore it’s a legitimate expense. I use actual cost method vs standard mileage.

Section 179 just says that the vehicle must be over 6000 lbs to deduct the entire cost up to $1 million, proportional to business use in the first year. If it’s under 6000 lbs there’s a lower limit you can deduct in the first year.

I believe they ramped up the section 179 when gas went up to $5 bc no one was buying large SUVs. Therefore they wanted people to use a more expensive vehicle then they needed to stimulate the economy.

Hoot is a snow belt realtor

And thanks to them holding their value well, a hefty income when you turn around and sell it in a few years.

People always seem to forget about that depreciation recapture issue.

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance, but I’m wondering why people think Cayennes hold their value well?
I mean, they aren’t awful, but, just as an example, MMR for a 2018 Cayenne Turbo with 30k miles is $75k. Vs MSRP of $130k new (before all the crazy options) gives it 58.5% RV. A 2018 S is like $50k, so I can see where Porsche gets its projected RV. Will the Coupe do better? Only time will tell.

2 Likes