2020 jeep wrangler - unlimited sport -how much negotiating power?

Hi guys !

i am shopping around for a wrangler unlimited sport. With sport utility package.
2.0L 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine w/ ESS

I test drove the car and really like it. I was keen to make a deal but the numbers the dealer give me seem to be really high, especially with everything that is going on.

They just give me a 2% discount on MSRP which I felt was really, really LOW. How much flexibility do dealers have today? Would they be willing to potentially go down to 7%-10% off MSRP?

any input is appreciated, thanks

below is the link for the quote I got:

Before this all started they were giving away the Gladiator(the supposedly hot product that everyone wanted), that just tells me a regular 4 door Wrangler is even less special. I’d shop around, allot

They have has much flexibility as they won’t, don’t believe any BS they say otherwise. Tell them without the cash down you might consider the deal(same payment though)!

1 Like

The EP pricing going on now is legit great pricing there + any incentives on top of that.

Look into US Bank. The RV and MF might be better.

1 Like

2% off MSRP is horrible for a Wrangler, some of these FCA dealers are still living in a fairy land.

Spend some time on the JL forums, there are a number of dealers who are regularly at 5-8% below invoice which usually equates to 10-13% off MSRP.

JL Forums - Ordering & Pricing Discussion

3 Likes

thank you very much for all the input, this is super helpful :slight_smile:

I don’t have much experience with leases and I have been learning more and more everyday thanks to this forum and other resources.

@j_e_f_f - that’s what I thought 5/7% would be reasonable and anything over 10% would probably be a “steal”.

I am going to do some more “homework” with the very valuable feedback you all provided and let you know if I manage to get a good deal.

@Seby12 - the rate the dealer give me is actually from US Bank - MF of 0.00201 (which is a 5% APR). I was really surprised by the rate given interest rates are SOO SOO LOW now 0%. This is not necessarily the dealers fault but I feel they could negotiate better rates with the banks they partner with.

Will keep everyone posted, just in case there is someone else looking for a wrangler which has the same questions I have.

1 Like

This is likely one of two things:

1. It is actually a Chrysler rate and the dealer doesn’t know what they’re talking about (not unheard of).
  2. This is marked up by the dealer. US Bank rates tend to range from .00095-.00120. I would be very surprised if the base rate is that high.

You should be getting AT LEAST 9% off MSRP (10% to 12% is doable) . Do not settle for less. If the dealership is not willing to play ball just move on to the next one. Patience and persistence is key.
Best of luck!

@kalendore - thank you !

it has been such a struggle, incentive for wranglers are only 500 bucks… can’t get any wow quotes out there, probably a lot of dealers are looking to weigh out the storm given the residuals are so high on these cars.

April was one of the best months ever to lease a Wrangler! Available incentives are much greater then $500. You need to look into things like private select offers, vin specific offers, truecar, penfed and USAA. Many of these will stack together.

I can walk into a few dealers in NJ and get 3% off invoice no problem and my goto dealer in PA will do 6% off invoice without much negotiating. I haven’t seen the updated data for May yet so not sure if the lease terms are still as favorable as last month The MF usually isn’t as important as the RV for these deals (unless you have negative equity). I got my gladiator with a 5.6% MF but a 78% RV.

@z0lt3c - congrats on your purchase ! off-roading must be superb and summer is around the corner ! :slight_smile:

the best offer I got till now for a 40K unlitmited wrangler sport was
36/10 lease was around ~320/month and that was like with 3K @ signing.

I just did another search via truecar and it only seems i qualify for the 500 bucks…BUT found $750 bucks via their Select Inventory Bonus Cash offer thanks for that !!

I know this is a bit of a stupid question but to qualify for the USAA and the penfed offers I assume you already have to be an existing customer? Also, I always use the MSRP px to negotiate…is the invoice price something I can ask the dealer?

Thanks again!
R

You can find the JLU invoice worksheet here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/jeep-unlimited-combo-2019-updated-xlsx.152856/ – Compare your price before incentives to the output of the worksheet and you should understand how close you are to the best market price.

You should be able to find that 36/10 lease for $320/mo with only $320 DAS. I don’t have the updated lease terms for May so it’s hard to say if that’s still valid but it was possible in April. You have the option of either FCA or US Bank and “best terms” somtimes flip-flops.

Glad you found one with a VIN specific bonus. Make sure you have submitted a request for information on the Jeep website as this can trigger a select offer. USAA/PenFed have very minimal member requirements to claim the bonus, usually a few months. It’s worth joining if you are not a member. You don’t mention TrueCar but you can get this by searching for inventory on their website.

@z0lt3c - thanks again!

So here’s an offer I just received for an Unlimited Sport. It didn’t really give me the warm and fuzzy’s. MF used was .00264 Thoughts? Central Ohio area.

Offer

I would recommend gathering the rest of the necessary details and starting your own thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How does that compare to buy rate you got from edmunds?

No, you need to post on the Edmunds specific lease forum for that model asking for RV/MF/incentives for your zip code.

What dealer in PA did 6% off invoice?