2020 JD Power Initial Quality Study

Do you get hot overnight? I liked the comfort of the memory foam I tried (no “hot spots” for pain), but I worried about heat retention while I slept.

Go lay on a bunch at a store (I can recommend in both places) until you have preference for foam or coils, firm or soft. Surprisingly the mattress sales people are very helpful if you talk to them.

You have to enroll your better half in the solution (if she wants a rock and you want a cloud, you might want to negotiate separate bedrooms). An adjustable base is a must no matter how silly you think it is, as you get older and injure things you will use it.

I like a very firm mattress, I can sleep on a park bench. I have a Simmons Beautyrest black - I love it so much I replaced the guest room mattress with one. So far all guests have complimented it. The BR replaced a custom mattress from the ohio mattress company in Columbus. It did not last 10 years, but was good for about 8.

Rotating your mattress (like your tires) helps maintain life. Some are now no-flips or turn-only.

1 Like

Since my own back surgery in 91, we’ve each had our own bed, but as Twin XL’s making a King. Buy pad and sheets for TwinXL, but buy down comforter/duvet for King. Separate adjustable bed frames are great, since I like to sleep in, and wife likes to start work on her laptop in bed before sun up, so best of both worlds: a king bed, but separate.

1 Like

Unless both of you like diff temps. Partner and I cannot share blankets and such for that reason. But I think the separate bed idea is great.

Very true. We both do the ‘too hot, too cold’ dance with the comforter, primarily because we don’t use heat or A/C, unless it becomes impossible to be in the place without them.

Thanks for the replies.

Comfort is a completely subjective thing, so I ignore those type of reviews, plus I spent ~2 hours at the store to make sure I had that part covered.

The common thread in the other reviews for the one I ordered/canceled is lack of quality (impressions that form in a short period of time and won’t disappear).

Beautyrest PressureSmart 14.75" Plush Pillow Top Mattress | Mattress Firm

This mattress will get relatively light use (second home; when someone is there it’s just me 99% of the time), which is the main reason I didn’t want to spend more than 2x on the one I preferred marginally for comfort.

THE most comfortable bed I’ve slept in was at a recent hotel stay, and the hotel chain sells “the beds” online, but in doing some other reading it seems that there are at least 3 different beds in actual use in those hotels.

Plus the specific hotel was outside the US and only has limited relationship with the brand, so I’m not even sure I’d get one of the three. And they don’t take returns.

Performasleep

I’ve recommended it to a dozen family members and 6-7 friends. One out of the bunch didn’t like it. Everyone else love it and recommends it. They have 100 night trial if you hate it.

1 Like

I bought a “cooling” mattress from Amazon that was like 10 inches deep and loved it. Never felt hot in bed. The new foam mattress from ikea tends to make me hot.

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that mattress companies make it hard to get the same thing in hotels or to make comparisons from one shop to another b/c it’s not a consistent product across different stores.

If this is for a 2nd home that doesn’t get much use (and, even then, mainly only by you), I wouldn’t overthink it (esp if you can fall asleep pretty easily, regardless of the bed).

Trying not to overthink, but beyond comfort my main objective is not buying trash.

It’s been too long to remember what I paid for the current mattress, but it lasted ~23 years (and 15 of those I lived there full time).

I tried swapping out a barely-used mattress from a guest room, and it didn’t pass the comfort test. :frowning:

We went with the Casper mattress from Costco…for the $ I think it’s hard to beat and with Costco’s return policy, a no brainer if you want to try out a sub $1k mattress that feels great and has held up for us.

2 Likes

We went to talking from cars to mattresses. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well, its in the off ramp. :wink:

1 Like

Chase Sapphire has 10% back on Casper.

1 Like