2020 Cadillac CT5

For some reason, I don’t think this is going to do much to improve Cadillac sales…

Looks exactly the same as the CT6…which already was not doing well

I don’t think you’re really going to see much, if any effort out of Cadillac at all until they really start getting into their electrification plan, provided there actually is a plan. Aside from getting their lunch eaten by Lincoln on a daily basis now, why does Cadillac even exist anymore?

It’s a sedan and a Cadillac…recent history says that’s a bad 1-2 punch.

2 Likes

I think that’s the question everyone is asking… Lincoln is producing the Aviator and the Corsair (which, wisely, looks like a mini-Aviator), and Cadillac produces… THIS.

Yeah, but I’d have more respect for the whole endeavor if they at least made something beautiful, regardless of how well it sells…

They need to throw away the stupid naming convention and start again. It makes no sense. I am glad that Lincoln is going back to proper names and Caddy should do the same.

Someone on Jalopnik pointed out, they’ve fucked it up a bit not going with a sexy Escala type thingy….

1 Like

Personally, I think it’s beautiful. Much less angular and I really like the headlights

You don’t think it looks like a Chevy Cruze w/ a Honda Accord kink in the C-pillar?

2 Likes

I can’t unsee that now lololol. I saw that today and thought it looked pretty good, now not so much :joy:

Other than that it’s beautiful. I can overlook that small flaw.

People asked that same question of Lincoln about 5 years ago too.

Personally, I think it’s a nice looking car. Cadillac doesn’t have the same cachet with today’s buyer though, and along with it being a sedan, I don’t think it will gain much traction beyond the initial hype, similar to the rest of the sedan lineup. The ATS and CTS got good reviews from the car rags, and it didn’t seem to help.

I predict absolutely no-one will buy this. Maybe a few old grandparents or some city Uber drivers. MAYBE.

Also you’re all wrong with the comparisons. I know sedans all tend to look similar but…
2019 Altima or 2020 Cadillac CT5? which is which?

1 Like

If the taillights were different might pass as an A7

The resemblance is particularly strong in whatever the trim level is that doesn’t have the chrome trim around the windows. And I think it has a fake blackout side window… Which means that it shares something w/ the Buick Regal. There’s just so many no’s w/ this car.

The front and rear ends are nice. The profile looks like it belongs to another car entirely.

I think one of the car mags did a year-long test of the ATS, and there are apparently some daily liveability issues that popped up during that time. The CTS apparently also has a cramped rear seat, which is totally unforgivable (IMHO) in a car that’s as long as it is.

I think one auto writer (or was it something I read in a forum somewhere?) perhaps said it best when they wrote that the Cadillac ATS and CTS still aren’t THAT sporty or THAT interesting to drive… It’s just that everything else in the class is kind of boring, so the auto writers tend to exaggerate when something comes along that’s a little bit out of the norm (or minimize, in the case of previous-gen 3-series w/ sport package having a freeway ride that was completely and utterly unacceptable harsh, IMHO).

It’s a nice enough looking car, that’s not really the issue. They’ve already announced their pending move to an all electric platform, and nobody is buying sedans… So who is this for exactly? Lincoln seems to get it for now. There’s a niche only they seem to be filling for Luxury cars and SUVs that have no pretenses about being anything but comfortable and well built.

I don’t think this will help to revive Caddy’s fortunes. It’s like getting the cheap toilet paper. Sure you save money but at what cost!?

Still, with some decent discount we could be looking at $30-35k for a brand spanking new ‘luxury’ sedan which is almost the size of a 5 series (with no leather seats!?) I am sure that the only place we’ll see these is on car rental lots with Hertz trying to flog us one as a ‘Luxury’ upgrade.

1 Like

I’m not sure what they are thinking here, there’s a point where luxury cars have a perceived value and price, and 37k isn’t it. IMO 50k is where you enter “luxury” territory. Even if you aren’t going to get anyone to pay 50k for one of these you can price it as such and incentivize it to be competitive so people feel like they are getting a “deal” on a 50k car. People don’t want to feel like they are being cheap. They want to feel like they stole something of value, even if they really didn’t.

It will actually be super interesting to see what the actual transaction prices are for purchase and lease (and, of course, mainly the latter). A low starting MSRP is sexy, but MB and BMW presumably sell so many cars b/c the leases are so favorable.

I do think that the low starting price is absolutely the right play, though. There’s no way in hell that Cadillac has a chance unless it offers way more for a lot less. It worked for Lexus way back in 1990, and perhaps it’ll work for Genesis.

Now it needs to do the same thing w/ multiple SUVs…

Do they, though? I mean, I think “luxury car” shoppers (however you want to define a luxury car) might be more savvy w/ $ than are people who are stretching the budget to get a Corolla, but I think there are so many people who don’t understand how and which cars can be discounted that a lower starting price (and $37 still isn’t “cheap” by any means, IMHO) might just snag a few more buyers.

Lexus had a fairly unique selling point in that you could get ‘luxury’ that actually lasted & was reliable. I’m not sure if people feel the same way about a GM product.

I think a stronger strategy would be to give it an MSRP of $55k, get rid of any nonsense base model, it’s Cadillac not Buick - and create strong leasing incentives. The bragging rights of saying you got a $60k car for $299 a month is a strong selling point. Surely that’s the only reason anyone is picking up a 4-Series right now? - The same strategy allowed Volvo to actually sell some S90s (for a limited time anyway)

Until GM gets serious about their leasing programs on these cars it will all be a waste of time. I actually like the design language Caddy is moving towards and really liked the ATS V I test drove but I just couldn’t get past the lease figures. I even went so far as to try and have other people rationalize it for me to still go get the car and the recurring phrase was “you’d pay that? for a Caddy?”. Time will tell I guess.

2 Likes