2020 BMW M5 Lease Ending

My 2020 BMW M5’s lease ends at the end of Jan '23. I used a broker from this site and got a great deal before the pandemic. The car is clean and free of accidents and has never had modifications. I’ll be right at my 36k miles at the lease end with a buyout of $69.5k.

I have a Rivian R1T on order, but due to the max battery pack I’ve configured, my estimated delivery is early 2024. That means I need something until the Rivian is available.

I can buy the lease out in cash, but what are my options in getting an extended warranty, and does anyone know if it would include the scheduled services as the original 36k did?

You can get it cpo’d or purchase an aftermarket/3rd party warranty.

Services that are packaged are often above cost, you’ll usually be better off going to a reliable bmw independent mechanic for the basic scheduled maintenance needs.

You can purchase an extension to ultimate care but as I said above, it’s usually not worth it.

——-

However, the question remains of if you even should do this, is it worth buying out and eating that negative down the line (we’re nearly guaranteed for a recession and that will crash f80 prices).

Don’t you have 4 yr 50k miles warranty? Shouldn’t that be enough to take you to 2024 Q1?

Thanks for the feedback.

There is an independent shop in my area that specializes in BMW. I’ll stop by and have a discussion with them to see if they can help with creating a maintenance budget, and use that as part of my decision-making.

The depreciation is what bothers me the most.

My car had a 3yr 36k warranty.

I had a 335i back in the day with a 4yr 50k mile warranty and maintenance plan. Wish this car had that.

Are you sure? Warranty is still 4yr/50k. Maintenance was brought down 3yr/36k and doesn’t cover brakes, wipers and other things since 2017.

Guess I’ll have to check the warranty.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you have the 4 year, 50k warranty. BMW changed the maintenance coverage in 2015/2016 to 3 year, 36k miles and stripped some of the nice standard features (brakes for example). I remember this because we purchased a 2016 X5 in 2015 and we were one of the last ones to get the 4 year maintenance coverage.

Why don’t you extend your current lease few months?

Right on.

If you bought it new and not as a demo or loaner with punched warranty, you get 4 years and 50k miles.

I don’t know if this will vary by person but in case you go the lease extension route, BMW was only able to extend mine by 2 months and will only extend it to 6 months (4 additional months) if you order a new BMW.

If you are just looking for a car/SUV that will hold you over, have you considered an 18 month lease on a Nissan Frontier? You should be able to get a $300/month deal + upfront fees on one.

I get it that coming from an M5 would be a big downgrade, but it will be more cost effective that buying out your lease.

My $0.02.

Then you probably won’t want to buy a leased BMW at RV.

op , you are confusing warranty with maintenance
warranty is still 4 years
maintenance was reduced from 4 to 3 years few years back