2020 Acura TLX - Lease advice

This is what I came up with paying only the DMV/TAG fees up front - even rolling in the 1st months payment.

$355 per month

Obviously there’s some room to play with the numbers, they never give you the absolute best price right off the bat in an email.

Your first “deal sheet” is not the most useful document a dealer can provide you. That deal sheet you posted is really designed so that the dealer can get a buyer to focus on a MONTHLY payment. When the dealer can focus the discussion on monthly payment they get the upper hand.

What you want to see is a “lease worksheet”. A lease worksheet can be printed out from any of the deal software dealers use. If you don’t see a money factor on your sheet, its not a lease worksheet. If you can see the calculation of net capitalized cost, its not a lease worksheet. If you don’t see an itemization of DAS, its not a lease worksheet. You need to ASK the dealer for your deal lease worksheet. If you don’t ask, they won’t share. Most helpful dealers will give you a lease worksheet if you ask.

Once you get your lease worksheet post here and hackrs can quickly point out any rough spots in your deal.

Good luck.

1 Like

You should separate out the $5800 incentive from the overall discount. If you do that, your actual dealer discount is about 11%. I won’t be surprised if the dealer is marking up the MF.

That should be called the dealer sucker sheet. You are right good point there.

Whats the max Acura allows a dealer to mark it up? Usually it’s 0.002 from what i’ve seen.

No clue, but that’s probably why your numbers don’t match. You forgot to include the taxable and non-taxable fees in the calculator.
The doc fee in the calculator is not $798 as listed on the dealer sheet.

MSRP: $40,425
Discount: 10% = $4,042
Rebates: $5,800
Selling price: $30,583

Add in: $595 aquisition
Add in: $695 dealer fee
Add in: $500 (estimated tag

Total cap cost = $32,373

@Bluemkn57cars is spot on. I find the hackrs are most helpful when a poster clearly notes in the body of their post the key variables that drive most great deals:

1. Pre-incentive discount
  2. Buy rate MF and any markup.

I really liked the way you posted your initial deal plan as noted above. I quickly saw you were going after 10% pre-incentive (good target). If you repeat this deal data format for each of your potential deal posts you will get insighful feedback - and fast.

I would also encourage you to put MF info in the body of your post. MF is the secret profit weapon for some dealers, he/she can add $250-$1000 of profit in that weird # with 5 decimal places.

Something like this:

Buy Rate MF: 0.00225
Deal MF: 0.00235
Mark-Up: 0.00010

While there are a handful of components to a good lease deal, I suggest you shine a spotlight on your pre-incentive discount and MF and no dealer will talk you anything short of a good deal.

The key to insighful feedback:

1. Recap pre-incentive discount and MF in the body of your post.
  2. Post lease worksheet
  3. Post calculator

Good luck.

Thanks - I replied to the dealer asking about the RV & MF and hinted that I was coming up with different numbers.

Good. If the dealer comes back with a marked up MF, tell them you will only sign at base MF with the same discount. If they refuse to budge, move onto another dealer.

Side note: Sometimes, some dealers will give you a higher pre-incentive discount and mark up the MF to claw some of that profit back. In your case, 11% is in line with the discount you should expect on this car.

The MF is definitely marked up. We pay under $450 for the SH-AWD A-Spec with a cap cost of $38,xxx.

Today I went out to Carmax to get an appraisal to see if they could beat Carvana and they came in $4,000 under what Carvana offered. Left the Carmax lot, drove 3 blocks, stopped at a stop light and was rear ended. LOL!

Sorry to hear about your car. Carmax is notoriously bad at under valuing cars being sold to them. I’ve never had a fair offer from Carmax which is why I no longer recommend them to people.

CarMax made great offers on cars… 5+ years ago. Just isn’t worth it anymore.

CarMax does great on the warranty claims end from what I’m told. They pay no questions asked based on shop owner feedback.

Dealer just replied with 0.0225 MF - LOL!

Did you mean 0.00225 (5.4%)?

0.0225 = 54% – unless that wasn’t a typo?

If the latter, they better toss in a complementary NSX LOL!

.00225 is standard rate for most acuras

Yes, I means 0.00225 - forgot one of the zeros. Per Edmunds the MF for the TLX is 0.0005 since i’m sure they’re trying to get rid of them due to the new model hitting the dealerships in 60-90 days.

It’s not uncommon for acura to offer two different MF rates. One that is the standard rate but with huge direct to dealer incentives and one that is subvened, but with much much smaller incentives.

My guess is that the dealer is offering the former and Edmunds is quoting the latter.

The TLX has either 0.00225 with higher incentive or 0.00050 with lower incentive