2019 VW Golf SE

Got a lease quote for $384/mo, $0 DAS.

MSRP: $26,574
Selling price: $23,620
10k miles/year
Payment includes PA 9% tax

Anyone get a better deal? I know the Golf doesn’t lease well, and it’s a 2019, but it still seems high to me. Thanks!

I paid 291 w/ tax and only 1st month DAS for a '16 Golf SE in January of 2016. that was with close to no effort, basically calling up two dealerships that had the color I wanted and saying you have to get me under $300 a month with only 1st month down. Now maybe in FL VW offers better incentives or they’ve gotten even worse to lease in the three years since, but looking back I thought my lease was too high, so I would advise you shop around. Not sure you will be able to get a monthly in the 1% range but sub 300 or just a bit over 300 should be doable.

1 Like

The Golf NEVER leases well. Its just not a car that does.

Look at the GTI. That’ll prob lease better

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, Mr. Tuna. When you say the GTI leases better, do you just mean it’d be a better value? Or could I be looking at a higher priced car with a similar lease price as what they’re offering on the Golf?

Probably not, actually. I think I saw leases in the $400s and even low $500 on VW Vortex for a GTI (this was wasn’t recently, however). The general opinion there was that Golf (incl GTIs) lease horribly.

1 Like

To the OP, can you wait until later in the yr and can you live w/ an S? I know that people seemed to be getting crazy good deals (sale price; I don’t know if they were financing or not) on S Sportwagens later in the yr (but not too late, when most of the inventory had been sold). Don’t know if Sportwagen pricing mirrors the Golf, but I imagine it’s probably not too far off.

No on both counts. I have another lease ending soon and the S lacks quite a few features that I’d put in the “need” category. I knew the Golf had a reputation for mediocre leases, but I guess I didn’t fully understand how bad they were. Compared to other 2019 VWs of the same MSRP, like a Jetta, it’s $100 more…

Having said all that, I’d still be interested in hearing if others have gotten lease quotes on the 2019 Golf, i.e. is mine about normal or do I have some wiggle room here?

I love the Golf, I’ve owned two (euro-spec) ones. But given the horrible lease value, would you consider other vehicles maybe? $384 can get you into some decent other vehicles.

I’d consider other vehicles for sure, but I kind of had my heart set on a hatchback and the Golf is easily the top of that list in the US. I drove the new Corolla hatch and liked it, but they gave me HORRENDOUS lease pricing ($480). There’s really not much else I’m super interested in.

What’s in the need category (aside from having a hatch)? Might help other posters to suggest cars.

Yeah I’m a hatch fan too but options are indeed limited here in the US, even more so if you’re looking for anything even approaching a decent lease with the Elantra GT and Civic hatch often representing bad value. You could maybe try some other dealers as the Corolla hatch should be much, much cheaper than that frankly insane $480.

Does an Impreza appeal at all?

Heated seats and keyless entry are two differences between the S and the SE that I can remember off the top of my head. Not huge features, maybe, but things I know would personally bother me a lot over time.

One thing I’ve repeatedly read in reviews of the Impreza is that it’s really poor at accelerating and passing at highway speeds. Since the vast majority of the miles I put on my car are on interstates, I pretty much eliminated it from consideration at the very beginning. But I may have to revisit it if the Golf price doesn’t come down at all. I looked into the Elantra GT briefly but the fuel economy is abysmal, and I’m not a fan at all of the styling on the Civic hatch. It doesn’t really look like a hatch, you know?

Thanks for the help/advice/etc., guys!

When is the Mazda 3 available? Although I imagine, being a brand new car, it won’t lease well, either.

Do Lexus NXs lease well? It’s essentially just a lifted hatch…

for $384/mo you can basically buy the car if you spread the payments over 5 years give or take a few dollars (You’d still be in warranty as VW has a phenomenal duration)…

Even if you have no interest in buying, when you see that math its just crazy to get this lease in my humble opinion…

EDIT: Just to elaborate on that point, I really like VW, ALOT. I still have an 07 GTI with 170,000 miles that runs with absolutely 0 issues since day 1 (purchased new). If you don’t mind keeping the car, and the other options you have are even higher payments (480, wtf?) just purchase it outright.

1 Like

While the GTI might not necessarily lease well (especially for folks like us here on LH) it’ll def be a better lease value than the Golf…

I’ve haven’t shopped it lately but I did recall seeing a post recently with someone that got to $297 a month with just first and dmv out of pocket on a base GTI S.

I agree, i’ve test driven an Impreza and it’s okay for city driving but totally gutless when merging etc. Needed more power.

Chevy Cruze hatch might be an option if you can find one? or maybe even an A3 eTron but I dont think they lease well either

1 Like

This is in SoCal, so not your market, but 2019 GTI DSG MSRP of $31,310 for 36/10k for $356+tax with $939 driveoff and WRX 6MT Base MSRP 28,944 for 36/10k for $325+tax w $897 driveoff. Add your 9% tax rate and spread the driveoff to approximate $0 DAS and you’ll see what could be accomplished.

Where in PA are you and do you want a manual or some type of automatic transmission? Any interest in AWD? Any interest in smaller AWD SUV’s?

I’m in Pittsburgh, automatic transmission, definitely more interested in hatchbacks than SUVs. If had to look outside the hatch realm it’d be a small sedan, my current car is a Civic.

There are 8 dealerships. How many have you contacted? It looks like the GTI Rabbit trim splits the difference between the S and the SE trim and has both heated seats (the Base S has these) and the keyless access with push button start (Base S does not have this). MSRP with Tiptronic Transmission is $30,890. Look through each dealers inventory online and start getting quotes. With a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty, you might want to consider a purchase, too.

Here is the calculator on a 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition with Tiptronic assuming:

1. 10% off MSRP discount
  2. Bank Rate Money Factor - https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/53916/volkswagen/gti/2019-volkswagen-gti-lease-deals-and-prices/p2
  3. Acquisition fee of $675 that isn’t marked up