2019 Toyota Highlander SE deal check

Just want to tell everyone thanks for all the replies. Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me. The guy I’m working with is off on Wednesdays. I asked for them to meet me in the middle at 415 a month no money down. I just noticed this SE doesn’t have a tow hitch or the wiring harness installed so trying to get that thrown in as well. Since I will be towing a small travel trailer in the summer.

How many dealers have you spoke with? Any others want to play ball?

This is the only dealer with SE’s available. Plenty of XLE’s. Thinking I should try for an xle as these might have better potential to work a better deal.

Exactly, on something like a Toyota there’s no reason not to email 4 or 5 different dealers, you’ll find out really quick who wants to play ball

1 Like

I didn’t say “OTD” as you stated. I said “buy for $36,435”.
Taxes are a constant and I do not consider them as they are not negotiable and vary from State to State.

Bear

I respect your opinion as everyone will have a different experience when buying/negotiating.

I like my advice though as the deal can work out depending on market conditions.

Consider this; once all 2019 Highlanders are sold and the only thing on lots are zero-rebated 2020 Highlanders the value on pre-2020 Highlanders will hold well (especially when you get $8,000 off MSRP).
One variable that is unknown, if the 2020 is a flop and they have to rebate them this will hurt pre-2020 Highlanders and my point will be moot.
I like the odds the 2020 will be a hit.

Bear

I respect your math as it certainly took time to calculate.
I don’t like loans either as a lease affords one to pay a lower cost per month and frees up cash.
I am not a fan of the TFS lease and see the RV as set in the favor of TFS and being so conservative it guarantees them a profit no matter what “could” occur (think mega-recession). I like your U.S. Bank offers you have been giving on Tundra’s as an example, U.S. is being flippant with their values and may have an issue at call-time on these leases (I have one of these sweet 2 year 2019 leases which I owe success to you for turning me on to them).
In your example I would have left out tax and interest as it they are variables and not constant (some pay cash like me, some live in States that have no tax, some trade to reduce tax etc.).
I am not a lease expert like yourself (said with respect) but I am in sales that crosses over into Auto sales.
Based on my experience (all people will experience differences) I have purchased one new 2018 XLE AWD Highlander and 2 new 2019 XLE AWD Highlanders in the past 26 months and have spent about $8,400 in depreciation and drove 38,000 miles.
How, I get 12% or more off MSRP, rebates were $2,500 or more, pay cash and resell my cars on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace (I did trade the 2018 on the first 2019).
You have to be a grinder and stay abreast of the rebates etc. Maybe not for everyone but can be done.

Bear

Everyone’s circumstances or situation when it comes to purchasing or leasing are different. Whether a purchase or lease is better differs on a case by case basis. There are many variables to consider. I personally just went the purchase route on my last vehicle purchase. While I could of gone the Tundra route and paid $250-$300 a month. I’m not a fan of the styling and instead purchased a 2020 gmc Sierra. The rebates and deal was too go to pass up. Also being in Texas sales tax is a variable. I calculate that its going to cost me $400-$450/month once I sell or trade in 2-3 years. I dont mind paying the premium to get the vehicle I actually like.

You can’t just not consider taxes and fees in your price and have it be a useful comparison. You’re just making numbers up without anything to base them on and then preaching it like gospel. That’s not how analyzing and comparing deals works.

Just found another SE about an hour and a half away from me and got an offer for 36,700 plus dealer handling fee of 499 and taxes. Seems like a smoking deal.

1 Like

Ok. But is that a purchase offer or a reply to an inquiry that didn’t specify you wanted to lease?

Without knowing the MF, the selling price doesn’t tell you all that much.

What’s the payment though?

Its a one-pay for 36,700 plus 499 and taxes. Smokin’ deal.

2 Likes

May I ask the MSRP?

Bear

I’m also in Colorado and also looking heavily into Toyota’s (several models) and dealers here are HARD to work with. I have reached out to every dealer in CO via email to see if any of them appear to be easy and transparent…none have appeared that way and only 1 leases with US Bank. That dealer is the closest to me but also happens to be the hardest to deal with and will NOT share fully itemized proposals via email.
Mark

Yeah dealers here a PITA, who uses US Bank?

My experience is the bigger and nicer(newer facility) the dealership is, the higher their quotes are and the harder they are to work with.

I had no clue you were in CO.
It’s Pederson Toyota in Fort Collins. I haven’t given up hope with them but they keep telling me to come in which just flat out rubs me the wrong way. I’m leaning towards a PA, FL or UT dealer if I go Toyota.
I know several sales managers and even a damn dealership principal in this state and all of them can offer me descent deals but their hands are all tied to some extent.
Regarding Toyotas specifically, and leasing via TFS I haven’t gotten one dealer to go beyond 7.7% off MSRP before incentives.

At some point I might get a :taco: and I’m leaning towards PA, those deals are pretty unbelievable. Are there any dealers in Utah that use ally/US bank?

Last month I was getting low 35K quotes on the XLE but that was with the 2k rebate. I “Think” they opened up the 2500.00 rebate to leases this month. If the msrp is still 44,2XX then with the rebate you are at a 17% discount and 13.3 without. Thats pretty good in my book as long as all the other numbers check out.