2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid Base. As/of 01/08/2020

Just the first 180. Still not sure whether the 1500 CT state credit was factored in already or not, I’ll find out Monday.

Where did you pick it up? I have a deposit down on one in New London.

Not from New London, all they had to offer when I called was a limited for 227/mo and 1000 down.

This is almost too good of a deal to be true!

Deal or no deal for Ioniq EV Limited?
The sales tax, dmv fee, etc. ~$1500 is not listed and will be due at pickup.
The dealer doesn’t participate in the $2K NYS rebate :-1:, so I’m checking another locally.

Paying 200 for a range limited car with no 2k NYS rebate is an awful deal. Do you really understand what you are getting into? A car that can only be used for commute! And you will be white knuckling in winter! Forget driving across the state and back! I have a BOLT with twice the range and even that barely cuts it driving around MA.

1 Like

I don’ think I would do it for $200 with $1,500 DAS. For that money I’d rather get a regular Civic or something. This made sense only around $100 thanks to state rebates.

1 Like

I agree. My target was $175/mo with first month only due at signing. One dealer got close, but not close enough. Even at that price, I think it’s right on the edge. The range is the big issue. Otherwise it’s a pretty nice and well equipped car in Limited trim, and an affordable way to dip a toe into the EV world (which I’ve been wanting to do).

It’s pretty much useless as a primary vehicle unless you never travel outside of your city or have a ton of charging infrastructure. The reason I’ve been considering it is that my daily commute is about 35 miles round trip, and we have free charging at work. That means if I solely used it to commute, I’d never have to pay to charge it. I currently daily drive a truck that gets 14MPG, so I spend around $150/mo on gas just for my commute. That savings alone is covering most of the price of the car. I’ve also planned on keeping the truck pretty much until it dies to use for “truck stuff”, so the sooner I retire it from commuter duty the longer it’ll last me and that has value.

So, in my situation, I think it can make sense. For others, though, not so much. The base model would be even easier to justify, but I just can’t do it. After the other vehicles I’ve owned it’ll be hard enough going to a small vehicle with limited power. Giving up all the bells and whistles as well would be too much.

Not sure if anyone is looking into carpool lane access by state, but here in AZ, where we don’t even get Ionics or any post sale rebates, you do get access to the carpool lane alone. This was the biggest factor for me 5 years ago when I got my first Leaf. Saves me 15 mins/each way on my commute. 4 days a week, 50 weeks a year, that’s over 5 entire days spent in traffic I am avoiding.

Based on how many people I see in CA getting EVs just for HOV access, their HOV lanes will need to have their own HOV lanes separated by battery size of the EV

How often do you do “truck stuff”?

I ask because I talked myself into three SUVs in a row – for UTILITY.

I looked back and realized in all that time I hauled just one large TV home from Best Buy and avoided one delivery fee…

I would have been thousands of dollars ahead in gas alone if I had just paid to have that TV delivered.

The truck is depreciating every month, whether it’s sitting there or making one 15-minute trip to haul one TV every seven years. :slight_smile:

Your lifestyle may justify it; just posting my experience.

4 Likes

Maybe I should be More grateful AZ doesn’t incentivize EVs as much as CA or other states. I can’t get a $100 Ionic but I do get a free flowing carpool lane.

I drop my son off at school 5 miles into my commute and hop back on the same freeway, I routinely pass some cars twice if I notice they have a custom license plate, obnoxious/loud color etc. Usually is a BMW who thinks they are clever w their license plate. BEEMEUP and M111 talking to you guys!

I have to laugh every time I hear about HOV lanes, stickers for car pool lanes. California is a beautiful state but hearing the traffic stories I’m glad a 15min backup is a headache in my city.

All the time now. I never used my previous SUV much for hauling, and didn’t use the truck as much as I thought at first, but I bought a house last year and there are very few weekends when I’m not hauling something. I actually kicked around the idea of trading it in and buying one of the new RAMs (mine is a 2013), but I actually work it enough now that I can’t bring myself to use a $60k luxury truck that way.

So, current thinking is to reluctantly drive one of these things for 3 years, finish paying off my student loans, do some house projects, and build the savings back up from that down payment. Then I will be in a position to buy what I really want without feeling irresponsible. It’ll be a sacrifice, but I think I can do it.

1 Like

What a world we live in where leasing a $37k EV as a second car is considered a sacrifice

1 Like

True! First world problems for sure.

I find myself going “well, it doesn’t have a 360 camera, or ventilated seats, etc.” and then I realize how spoiled I am. Not long ago things like heated leather seats, memory, passive entry, backup camera, HIDs, blind spot, etc. were premium options most people didn’t have.

If your job/bank/ whatever doesn’t take part of the bonus drive there’s a little hack. If you donate 10 bucks to the Foster Care to Success you can join Alliant Credit Union. Alliant will match your donation. So you help some kids out and get a 500 dollar check. This bonus drive looks like it good for jeep, fiat, ram as well as Hyundai.

Well, we can add another (almost) signed deal. The dealer I visited the other day called me back and are going to take my offer. It comes out to $172/mo for 10k/36 with everything rolled in and only 1st month due at signing for a Limited. Based on talking to nearly every dealer in the state, I don’t think I’m gonna do much better than that in CT and it’s only going to be harder when we lose $1000 in rebates tomorrow.

All the paperwork is sent in and I’m signing after work (and picking up if I find a ride).

Just go get another R/T haha

Also join AAA. They qualify for bonus drive