2019 Honda Civic Lease end

My moms 2019 Honda Civic is nearing its lease maturity. Car is in great condition and only has 16,000 miles. We plan to purchase it as its a great deal in today’s market.
Lease Payoff amount is $12,281

I was quoted by a dealer to have the car CPO’d for $1,500 which wound give me the extended CPO warranty and the CPO interest rate of 2.99% for 60 months.

My other option is to buy the car out directly from Honda financial ( I need to check what fees apply apart from payoff amount) and secure financing from a credit union or Lightstream at 4.99 - 5.99.

The lower interest rate offered by the dealer almost offsets the cost of CPO extended warranty. My estimates are payments would be >$20 more expensive. We would have a CPO’d car, pay less in total interest in total and in theory have a higher value vehicle if we decide to resell in the future.

Am I missing anything or any other options?

A CPO warranty might not be a ‘honda warranty’ btw.

Call these guys https://www.curryacuracare.com/ and see what they offer for a honda warranty. No CPO needed

I sell for Honda, that CPO price is a very good deal! It’ll give you 7 years or 100k miles on the powertrain and 1 year or 12k miles on the limited warranty. Also I think the CPO rates change in a few days just a heads up! Just make sure it is the Honda Certified and not a 3rd party.

OP, check this first.

I also didn’t realize that CPOs have a different interest rate. Is that common?

Thank’s everyone.
It is the certification process through a Honda dealer making it a Honda Certified Pre-owned.
This increases Powertrain to 7 years/100k and Non power train to 4year/48k or 1 year/12k

I just got the rates this morning 2.99/ 60 or 3.99/72 for the CPO. The other rates I mentioned were through a 3rd party Credit union or lighstream loans

1 Like

Yes sometimes Honda provides us special rates on CPO vehicles. They’re actually better than new car rates right now, but hopefully they keep that same rates again for October.

Is an extended warranty really necessary on a civic with 16k miles?

1 Like

For $1,500 why not have that piece of mind? All it takes is one major fault and there’s your $1,500 bill plus more.

Prob not for the warranty by itself, but the lower interest rate…

2 Likes
  1. The CPO Honda warranty is terrible. It’s basically 1 year/12k miles (the powertrain warranty is close to worthless. What’s the chance your engine will die?). You can buy much more comprehensive OEM warranty extensions from Honda dealers online.

2. Going through the dealer will cost you a lot more than what you’re anticipating. You’re probably looking at close to $1,500 in additional fees that wouldn’t exist if you bought from Honda Finance directly.

1 Like

$1500 to warranty a basically new civic would not be worth it, but I think you answered your own question by stating the cost of CPO is almost fully offset by the lower rate.

If the total cost of financing is the same with or with out the warranty then I guess it makes sense to get the warranty. Just seems redundant for this car. If you can spend the least amount of money without it, I would. These don’t have high failure rates on anything. Not like you’re rolling around in a Land Rover.

Of course. When something sounds too good to be true it is. They came back with a 4.99% interest rate. Told them to kick rocks, I’m going to buy the car directly and save on the fees.
One last question…
The purchase price listed on Honda Financial seems to be inclusive of Tax as it is different than the # listed on the contract for purchase option at end of lease.

Wouldn’t this be double taxed as I assume I would have to pay sales tax at registration?

They are supposed to give you a doc that says bill them for taxes

So my 2019 Honda Civic is nearing the end of its lease. I decided I want to keep the car as the payoff is low making it a great value in today’s market.

I went ahead and completed the purchase of the car through Honda financials portal and sent in the odometer statement. This week I was reading somewhere and saw that Florida is a state that requires lease buyouts to happen at a dealer?

There is no mention on Honda financial website of it being a requirement for Florida, they provided a buyout quote and instructions over the phone and I was not stopped at all from sending a payment on the web portal.

What happens now? Will they send the title, issue a refund and direct me to a dealer?

Anyone have experience with this?

I do not know about Honda, but it has been reported here that Nissan now allows direct buyouts in Florida.

If it is legal for Nissan to allow direct buyouts, I assume it is legal for Honda also.

I bought out directly through the hfs portal earlier this year. They mailed the title and related paperwork. No dealer needed.

2 Likes

Are you from Florida?!

He is.

There are rules that allow Banks to bypass the dealer buyout and Honda appears to pass it.

BTW Nissan was just being dicks about it, they got in trouble and turns out they also can bypass that rule.

1 Like

Yup. The rules seem to require either licensure or a physical location in the state, so it isnt universally applicable.

1 Like