2018 Subaru Crosstrek - 79% Residual

Subaru’s guaranteed trade value is a gimmick. It does not let you adjust for lower mileage and It’s lower than KBB and significantly lower than the actual price you can get. That said, I don’t know if they adjust it based on mileage when you take it to dealer to trade. But then it’s the same as trading it in on your own.
But I agree that it’s better to buy a Subaru than lease it.

It runs on average 3-4K above what dealers will give on trade here.

Not even close to that. Do you actually have a Subaru that you can check out on Subaru site & compare to KBB?
Here is with the same mileage used by Subaru’s GTV by default (mine is much lower):

Use my zip code on kbb and compare. 70003. Everything I’ve seen down here overall on kbb they lowball values on everything. It’s usually like 5-6k lower than nada.

I’m in a rush so I wouldn’t be able to check it right this moment.

I’m just saying that Subaru’s GTV is even lower than KBB and you should not have any problem with dealers matching highest KBB or get a bit more.

Also ran some eBay cars with mileage that would fit the program and they are sometimes listed 1-2k under subaru trade value for buy it now. It’s a strange thing.

I don’t need to. I’ve traded a couple Foresters and got higher price than highest KBB.

Hey @Ursus where do you stand on financing Subarus? They seem to keep their values well… Just curious since the MF is awful.

I’m all for it with Subaru. After paying $50-70/mo more than lease for 3-4 years you then roll all equity into new finance and pay less than lease on the same car. And the next one will be even better.
But this year I saw much better lease deals, they started lowering MF ans still keep high RV.

Thanks for the insight. I don’t feel one way or another about Subarus… except I think it’s really cool when fellow owners see each other on the road and give nods. lol

I’m still taking the “lease” approach to my next car but some discounts that can be had on VWs and couple other brands is making me rethink it. In any case… thanks for the info. The attraction on the Subaru is the value being kept, which is rare for cars priced in this range.

Edit: added info on Subaru residual

how much off msrp is considered a good deal on a subaru?

Net net it’s less, right? You don’t pay the acq fee when you purchase/finance.

Subaru doesn’t subsidize leases with consumer cash. I usually target $1,500 under invoice, but it depends on inventory and demand for a certain model.

Yep, I don’t even count that. Nor do you pay disposition, and I pay tax on full selling price anyway.

He approaches them as his relationships - quick in and out and on to the next deal :slight_smile:

No, not really. I stick to my 3 years, except VW where I traded it in 5 months remaining.

As far south as NC and north to NH, no one is doing 1500 under invoice. No go even at 1000 under. Guess I’ll wait it out.

Try Ramsey Subaru in NJ and ask for Clayton, he’s a manager there.

I got his contact from a forum I frequent and got me an under invoice deal on a WRX STi in 2016.

He said he could do better on other subi models at the time. However, for a 2018 Crosstek that is just coming out, I don’t think you’re going to get $1500 under, just a guess.

1 Like

So, I closed a deal on an 18 Crosstrek Limited. I’ll post a new thread with more specifics and a review of the app, but I did the deal through Honcker. Selling price was so good another dealer told me to “make sure you check your math a few times”.

Car delivers to my home tonight!

Don’t, just post here and change the category

Deal done.

'18 Crosstrek Limited (Package 22 and some assorted body/interior options)
Sticker: 30,168
SP: 27,731.63
Drive off: 316
Monthly for 35 months: 316 all in

What do you think?