2018 Range Rover Velar S

@4sallypat that’s one of the reasons I don’t deal with the sales persons and go directly to the sales manager or the fleet manager. Call Vivian. She’s the sales manager and was very helpful with us. Explain your experience and see what happens. Good luck.

1 Like

I am in South Florida. I called about 6 dealerships in the State including South Dade, North Dade, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Naples and Sarasota. Sarasota is the only one willing to come off MSRP but when I went to close the deal they told me they couldn’t sell me the car. It’s not a dealership option. The way they explained to me is that Land Rover dealerships can sell in their area only. They said they have a quota of cars they can sell outside their area every quarter but Sarasota hadn’t met that quota already for this quarter which ends this month. I am waiting until July to see if they will sell me a car then. I went to Fort Lauderdale trying to get the deal in this thread matched and lied to them and told them the salesperson in California would sell me the car and the manager called me out and said they would not sell me because I’m way outside their area. They said they couldn’t match the deal. Land Rover dealers here also do not seem keen on negotiating either because apparently the cars are selling like crazy. So I either pay the price or wait. South Florida is a terrible place to lease a car.

1 Like

I had salespeople just flat out ignore me as well when I ask for numbers. I’m not really sure what the deal is. Are they busy? Did they meet their quota? Do they just go after people who haven’t done any research? Is it some sort of strategy?

It sort of sounds like most of the JLR dealers got together and agreed to price fix their cars to prevent discounting and pitting dealers against each other…

As I understand, low volume dealers have to protect their profit margins and this type of “territorial action” would prevent decreases in profit line.

But then I can’t understand why some dealers are so protective while other dealers are not. Take San Diego Land Rover - they are one of the few dealers in CA that sell in mass volume compared to other dealers. I can add up the inventory from 3 dealers locally and they won’t match the volume on hand at San Diego which is a 2 hour drive from me.
Maybe that’s why San Diego said they can sell to anyone and at a discount because they sell so much ?

Join the South Florida dealers suck club. I have had luck with the whole quoting other dealers and trying to get them to match an offer. Also lots of email involved. It is unfortunate though to have to jump through so many holes. Good luck.

There’s a major problem in certain cities – Los Angeles and Miami in particular – of people buying cars for export, because of the high taxation of imports in markets like China and Brazil. It might be a policy to try to stop that, although I don’t think it actually would.

The deals we see in this website are mostly impossible to obtain in South Florida. People are willing to pay crazy prices for their leases here and dealers know they don’t have to waste time negotiating with someone like me. This is specially true for luxury vehicles like Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Of the JLR dealerships I went to in the past month none of them had proactive salespeople who even asked me if I needed anything or had more questions. They must be salaried and make only a small commission with each sale because there is zero motivation to sell in these dealerships.