2018 Mercedes GLA 250 lease up in 1 month. Buyout option is $28,000

Our 2018 Mercedes GLA 250 lease is up at that end of October.
We leased through Bellevue Mercedes in Wa
The buyout is $28,000
It has 18,000 miles (COVID mileage FTL)
We get $2,800 back at end of lease (not sure if that matters for my question).

I see the same vehicle selling for $32,000 - $36,000.

My questions are regarding the equity:
Should i buy it myself and sell it privately?
Should i buy it myself and sell to another dealer/3rd party?
Should i let a 3rd party handle the return/buyout?

My guess (as i research these three options) is buying it myself and selling it on Craigslist or similar as that would provide the highest $$ return.

Are there any gotcha’s to be aware of etc…

Don’t forget that you have to pay sales tax on your buyout if you purchase it.

2 Likes

While we havent decided on next vehicle, it will be leased.
We may go for larger Mercedes or other midsize crossover / SUV

As of 9/1 MBFS is rejecting third party buyouts. Your only option is to sell it to a Mercedes dealer or buy it out yourself (and pay the sales tax).

The MMR is only around $29K so you really don’t have significant positive equity here and with only a month left on your lease MB dealers may not be very motivated to make you an offer.

I would probably take an offer at buyout to just avoid the disposition fee and not make it much more complicated then that. Call the three closest MB dealers and see what they will offer.

3 Likes

Have you shopped around recently? Hope you won’t get surprised by sticker shock… something to be aware of

2 Likes

Carmax offer is $30600.
If i go through them do i still pay tax on buyout during this transaction?

You have to buy the car from mbfs before you can sell it to carmax. You will pay sales tax when you purchase it from mbfs.

5 Likes

If you go to mbfs.com and request the payoff, what $ do you get there? That will include sales tax, remaining payments and $150 purchase fee.

At the end of it, you might have far less equity in it than you estimate.

Word of advice, only bother with MB Tacoma if you appreciate used G’s going over 100k original MSRP and C300’s going over 7% original MSRP :laughing:

1 Like

In Seattle area.
Mercedes lease expires in 1 month

Looking for new vehicle lease based on:

Monthly payment $350 - $450 range
As many MSDs available as possible
midsize crossover / SUV or electric vehicle…manufacturer not super important

Keep it in one place or post the last post in Help Wanted.

What SUV are you looking to lease? The GLB?

Check out broker deals in the “Marketplace”. It will give you an idea of what pricing looks like in today’s market.

2 Likes

Do you really think it’s possible to lease any Mercedes SUV in the $350-$450 range?

You really need to be realistic

2 Likes

Like few mentioned earlier, with a big down pay - Yes! :laughing:

350 is Honda Civic money in todays market

2 Likes

You might get lucky with Mazda CX3, CX5 or VW Honda Toyota mid size SUV if your budget is $450 or less. Even those are hard to get in this market. Forget luxury brands like MB or BMW.

No longer possible.

Really depends on how much legwork you want to do to get the top $

Remember to add sales tax & registration fees to your calculations.

Also, remember that time is the key element here, the longer you have to wait to either get the title & resell, the market for used cars can go either way. So don’t rely solely on today’s numbers.

Be ready to have smaller profit if market turns the other way.

1 Like

Where did you find such a great deal on Honda Civic?

1 Like

why is this thread now part of my other thread?
They are not the same subject…

one is asking for tips whether to return a leased vehicle (should i buy it outright, sell to 3rd party, or return) while the other thread is asking for suggestions on a new lease vehicle based on some criteria.

strange…

They are two different topics?

Is there a specific reason to merge them?

We are returning the leased Mercedes GLA (crossover) that we were paying $360 a month.
I havent spent a ton of time checking other Mercedes leases yet but did see a 2021 GLC for $470 a month in June/July (this was before applying any MFDs, etc.) .
The GLB is advertised at $425 a month.
—and dont put money down on a lease…thats silly—