2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

It’s time to have a separate from Giulia thread. Just drove by Alfa dealer and saw 2 (at least) on the lot.

Another car that I think in 6 months will be hackable. Alfa is just wayyyyyyy too late to the SUV game, along with an unknown brand. How many soccer moms are going to want an Alfa SUV?

Serious sports sedan, okay, can lure some enthusiasts who are serious about driving away from BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. with a strong offering and ignore the brand name… SUV though? Gooooood luck.

I bet you will be surprised. The same price range as the sedan and lower MSRP than comparable X3/GLC/Q5. But sure, they will have to throw incentives in.

It’s been extremely well reviewed, there will be a lot of early adapters and there’s enough history and romance in the Brand to make a splash if…

They can prove these new cars are reliable.

New to these forums, and checking things out! Thank you all for the good resource, and info!

I’m coming out of an Allroad lease in 5 months, and up against our mileage. New Allroads wont come close to the deal we got on our 2015, so we’ve started looking. Crappy leases on Q5 bought us to look at the Stelvio- drove one today, and was really impressed. Solid build, good handling, fast (enough) and nicely equipped. Really a nice alternative to the Q5 / Evoque / Macan

Our salesman told us Alfa will announce lease program August 1, and they are hopeful they will at least meet- or exceed what they are currently doing on the Giulia- I’m preparing for it to be a lower residual (and not so good lease deal) given its a new model and an Alfa (in general).

I have leased some cars in the past with what seemed like inflated high residuals (Audi’s and even a Chevy Volt and Silverado), and wondering if the same thing might happen here in an effort to get these out on the streets and visible to the public? I just cant imagine we’ll see these leasing North of $550-575/month 12k per year (nothing down), when there is so much competition in the market, and people who would be shy to get in the SUV market in an Alfa… any thoughts?

I’ll share what I learn from our local dealer here next week.

Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t have @vhooloo’s crystal balls, but I think mid-$40K will be going for around $450/mo (or maybe even low-$400/mo) by the end of the year.

1 Like

Just test drove a black on black Stelvio has some zip to it and is very nice looking but just like the guilia if you are anything north of 5 ft 11 that back seat behind the driver is gone.

ahhh another fix it again tony product, the suv looks great lets just hope it starts in the winter.

I wouldn’t say that. I’m 6’2 and I can sit behind myself in my Giulia. I wouldn’t want to sit there for a long road trip but its serviceable for in town trips and is comparable to other cars in the class.

1 Like

Want to see that… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Crystal balls say leasing deals are getting harder due to lender pullback and plummeting residuals
Wall Street Journal today:
The U.S. auto market, which topped a record 17.5 million in 2016, has grown seven consecutive years. Analysts expect that growth streak to end in 2017 as dealership traffic slows and fleet buyers, including rental-car firms, need fewer vehicles.

Car makers also facing a new problem: lenders are backing away from offering the cut-rate lease deals that kept monthly payments low and sheet metal flying off dealer lots in recent years.

Leasing accounted for 31.1% of all retail sales in the first half of 2017, falling slightly from last year’s record of 32%, according to Edmunds.com. Buyers had been increasingly reliant on leases—which keep payments low even as car prices rise—until this year.

“For a long time, we were all wondering where the ceiling was for leasing. Now, it has been hit,” said Jessica Caldwell, an analyst for Edmunds.com.

Swelling used-vehicle supply is accelerating the pullback on leasing, The increased supply comes after used-car values had grown steadily in the years following the 2009 financial crisis.

I have very flexible hips

1 Like

Salesman just called, Alfa just published their intro numbers- essentially asking for a 10% cap cost reduction, and leasing at 1%MSRP on a 36 month / 10k a year lease.

So a base Selvio (42k) comes in at $419/Month with $4,200 down (plus tax, tags, etc- no security def) leases through Ally.

I really dont want a base truck- figure most nicely equipped (winter package, sunroof, good stereo) MSRP around $49k .

The one I built on the website was $47,500- they showed:
conquest at $750,
lease bonus of $1,000
an interest rate of 2.184
$4,495 down
Cap Cost $42,605.50

they didn’t give a residual value figure.

I think I’ll wait it out some and see where they are in a few months, and where the market prices them.

I just got back from driving a base Stelvio (Scottsdale, AZ). There is a lot to like but I also was disappointed with the seats and lower-quality interior/materials. The standard seats lacked thigh support and seem thin and uncomfortable to me even on a short test drive. The optional “sport seats” are really tight with the side bolsters, I have a thin build and could barely squeeze in so not sure how the majority of people will like these? Overall, the look and design of the exterior is pretty sweet but coming from Audi/Porsche/Benz vehicles the Stelvio seemed like a letdown. And of course, the salesperson said they can’t keep them in their showroom and they are gone minutes after they arrive on the truck :slight_smile: I would wait on leasing until the next batch arrives that have Apple CarPlay and maybe some of the bugs worked out (and hopefully better lease incentives!)

2 Likes

Cant say I’m shocked, I sat in one with my wife this weekend, she liked the look but immediately remarked at how cheap the interior felt.

Yep, same here but with Giulia

But there also are many self-inflicted wounds, eerily reminiscent of a former communications director of a certain presidential administration.

Scaramucci? WTF? Is this guy reviewing cars or trying out for a writing job with the Daily Show? I sure hope his opinion of the car was not effected by the contemporary political analogy that he was trying to shoehorn into the article.

1 Like

this guy things a well-equipped X3 runs $42k? what planet does he live on?

He thinks that $42K X3 is better equipped than $42K Stelvio and is a much better car.