2017 Jetta SE Lease Offer 3yr/45k mile

Good evening,

Below is the best deal I have received so far for a 2017 Jetta SE. I still feel like it is too high. 15k miles / 36 months.

My lease runs out at the end of June - could extend it month to month for a but but would prefer not to. Hate the idea of getting this car and then having the 2018 out by year end. Really underwhelmed by other cars in the category. Only cars I liked were the VW Golf Wolfsburg and Mazda 3 but neither leased well.

Money Factor- .00001
Residual- 47% or $10,942
Msrp- $23,280
Selling- $20,350
Rebate- $1500.

36 months- $1513 money due (sales tax plus fees) with a payment of $239

Thanks.

$12,338 plus tax and fees must be paid for somehow with that horrendous residual. Rebate of $1,500 and either dealer discount or out of your pocket. Your effective payment with the $1,513 is $281 per month. Way too high. You should be getting around a $30,000 MSRP vehicle for that price or even better.

I appreciate the quick reply - it is very helpful. I agree that the residual is a killer. This is not a first offer but an offer after I have shopped it around via email to numerous dealers in the area (I live just outside of Chicago). I am not really sure how to proceed. In my head an effective cost of 250 seemed about right. Do you have any advice? The Edmunds True Market Price and TruCar are in the 19-20k range. Do I just ask for the selling price to be 2k less and hope for the best?

VW don’t lease well with the poor RV. If you love the car, you are better off buying it, it’s only $20k and you’ll have it for the next ten years. Otherwise, lease something else that’s a better value.

Thanks for the info. I have no desire to buy and hold on a car – if so, I could buy my current car for 11k --I like driving a new car every three years. Could you provide examples of cars in the same class that have higher residual values and that lease well?

Lucky for you, the answer is easy. You could put a list of every competing vehicle in the same class on a wall, blindfold yourself and point at one. And you’re guaranteed to be pointing at a vehicle that will lease better. But you need to decide what car you want. We can’t really do that for you.

Check out 2017 Subaru Impreza. It is new and popular, but has a high residual and a decent MF. You may be able to get it for close to $250-ish.

2017 Subaru Impreza Sport, 36/15
.00045 MF and 55% residual, assuming CVT

Check out May numbers:

You could get a crosstrek premium for the same price and less upfront. Or a Toyota Corolla XSE. OR a Hyundai Elantra Sport. Or Keep negotiating on the Jetta, which I think you could get down to 190 pretax.

Thanks for the info. I’m not a fan of Subarus and the regular Elantra is just okay but I do have to find someone who has the Elantra Sport around here as it looks like a great car and Hyundai actually has some good lease deals going. Thanks for the assistance. Any other suggestions are helpful and appreciated.