2017 Golf GTI Sport - June 2017

Hi Hackrs,

I’m new to the form and this is my first lease. I’ve searched through and tried to absorb as much as I can. I’m looking for a 2017 GTI Sport in the Bay Area and have the following TrueCar quote.

MSRP: 30,150
Discount: $4,550
Dealer fees: 80
VIN Etching: $196
Door guards: $150
Selling prince: $26,026

Plugging those numbers in for a 36/10k lease at 57% RV and 0.00095 MF (numbers I got from another VW dealer), I should be looking at somewhere around 287/mth (or 312/mth without tax) with 0 down and ~$1500 drive off. I want to get it to under 300/mth after tax - does that sound doable?

So I header back from 1 dealer:
MSRP: $30,315
Sale price: $27,315
36/10k
RV 57%
MF: 0.00212
$1500 down (includes taxes/fees + 1st month)
Monthly (incl tax) = ~405/mth

That seems like a terrible deal - the MF went up from 0.00095 to 0.00212 and the monthly comes nowhere close to the 1% rule. I’m going to reply and see if they can get it to 1% or under MSRP but seems like a really tall ask?

Any tips/guidance to improve this deal would be awesome! Thanks!!

From what I’ve seen on this forum, GTIs lease terribly. Are you set on a GTI? There’s better cars that you can lease for a much, much better deal than the GTI.

Though I’ll say… GTIs are incredibly fun to drive :slight_smile:

Yeah, they do seem terrible to lease. All the quotes I have are nowhere close to 1% of MSRP.

I’m not dead set on the GTI, I have a 500 abarth at the moment and the GTI seemed like a nice step up. I’m looking for anything fun under 300/mth. Do you know of any good leases in that range? I am looking at the Charger RT too but not sure if it can get that under 300 either lol.

Check the forum threads for Infiniti Q50, if you’re interested in that car. I got a Q50 AWD a year ago for 340/mo including tax, for 15k miles and I only paid driveoffs.

If you’re fine with 10k mi/yr, I’m sure you can get into a Q50 for under 300.

Yeah, I’m thinking maybe the Q50 3.0 or maybe even the Jag XE now. I heard back from the VW dealer and this is the quote I got:

MSRP: $30,315
Sale Price: $27,315
Residual Value: 57% (54% base at 15,000 miles, 10,000 miles add 3%).
Down Payment (INCLUDES ALL TAXES AND FEES, 1st MONTHLY PAYMENT): $1500
MF: .00212 (When discounting the car, we have to mark up the money factor to receive any incentives from VW).
Monthly: ~ $406 a month including 9.25% CA sales tax, yours may differ slightly.
Total lease cost: 406x 35= $14,210
+ $1500 down

If the MF wasn’t jacked up so much (up from 0.00095) I would prob negotiate, but at this price I don’t see how I could bring it down to <1% monthly (even if I managed to get around 15% off MSRP).

I just leased a GTI Sport here in S. Florida so I can echo your findings. I ended up paying $25202 on a $30315 MSRP car so better deals are out there if you are persistent. That .00212 MF is the same that I ended up with despite Tier 1 credit. I called almost a dozen dealers in Florida and Georgia and the spiel was always the same, "Oh the lower base MF doesnt apply to GTI’s or Oh sorry we can’t discount the car and also give you that rate."
It’s bullshit but you if you want the GTI you just have to accept it and be more aggressive with your negotiating on price and fees.
I ended up at $351 tax in, $1800 due at drive off which included all fees and first payment.
Not the greatest deal and not 1% for sure but I like the car and am happy. I drove the Q50 3.0 and while it was fast the Signature/Premium cars were not sporty at all, numb steering, lots of body roll, shitty tires and a boring interior.
The Sport level was a different animal and more in line with what I wanted but they were not in my price range at 10k more.

Yeah, they seem terrible to lease. I got as low as $25,500 but they wouldn’t budge on the jacked up MF so I left it at that.

Looking at the Gulia now, but that seems to be terrible lease too lol. I do agree with the Infiniti, not very sporty. I daily a Fiat 500 Abarth and I’d like to keep some of the pep with the new lease but nothing comes close under $300/mth.

I’m in the same boat… Was thinking a GTI would be < $300 and the salesman was surprised when I flat out told him $430/mo (before negotiation) for a GTI was a horrendous deal. Not trying to be a dick but why are they so expensive to lease?

I’m now considering getting something fun to drive in a different way, like a pickup truck, because I can at least have some semblance of power and take it camping. Don’t know what else there is fun and not wimpy under $300/mo.

People have gotten better deals on WRX’s. That’s the closest thing I can think of without jumping up a lot in price and staying mostly sporty and not a coupe. Subarus don’t lease the greatest but yeah seen deals in the 300-350 range.