18" windshield scratch - OEM or Safelite? Insurance or out of pocket?

Call your insurance and speak with the claims dept. and make sure they are agreeing to cover the full cost at the dealership. You dont want to risk paying the dealer and for the insurance to say no after the fact.

Looks like my insurance (Safeco) preferred glass repair provider is Safelite per https://www.safeco.com/claims/auto-claims/glass-repair-replacement.

I am now wondering if I should just fix it through insurance at no cost, or get a quote from the BMW dealer and pay out of pocket. I will own the car for less than 2 years as the warranty will expire by then. I wonder if it’s worth the extra effort to get an OEM or not.

Is Safelite quality that bad?

Good luck getting your insurance company to pay for the OEM. I’m in the Commercial Glass Business and it’s impossible for me to get an OEM in my vehicles.

OEM parts endorsement for your car on your policy is cheap. No brainer.

But unfortunately he can’t get that coverage after the fact, he already has the policy.

Of course it isn’t retroactive or otherwise nobody would have insurance until they need it.

Safelite replaces with OEM glass in some cases. BMW doesn’t make glass, someone else should know who does.

Broken Subaru windshields are a common thing: most people prefer a non-OEM (Pilkington) vs OEM (Carlex) — many Safelites carry both, and will do dynamic recalibration of your safety system (in Subaru’s case Eyesight) where dealer doesn’t. At least among that crowd, they are the preferred place to go.

1 Like