16 yr old looking for first car, low miles lease

If teenagers insurance are nuts. May consider doing car subscription service like canvas.

That is one benefit to getting “older” and having a good driving record. I paid $1,100/year for 100/300/100 on my Mercedes. I now pay $700 for the same on the Ford I just leased in December (and that includes a $100 Comprehensive and Collision deductible - in California).

If the car is in fathers name then for practical purpose its dad who is leasing correct? Then the # of cars for $250 should be decent assuming dad has a good credit history.

What about kia?? Gunther kia is running great deals true sign and drive right now Under 250!! But its 39 months

Read the disclaimer its complete sign and drive which is very rare from south florida dealers

both my kids 16 & 17 got their license this year
Daughter is $250 and son is $258 per month. I also added 2 million umbrella policy as back up. Don’t want to lose my house.

1 Like

I dont know, my dad swears he pays more for insurance now than he did when he was in high school probably just inflation though. Believe it or not he has the opposite conundrum as you, he pays $80 a month for his 70k pickup truck and $135 a month for his 2004 e55 amg, yes you read that right a 15 year old car cost more to insure than a brand new pickup truck. I think insurance varies so much from region to region and driver to driver and even car to car that its really hard to tell what a good monthly is for insurance.

I second this… paid half as much for an '18 Lexus GX than a '07 Lexus LS.

Safety features play big role.

1 Like

Gx has what safety features? Blind spot assist?

Dunno, but must be something better than it was 12 years ago.

No its the exact same car as the 2010 model. It really doesn’t make sense lol. The new LS is double the old one.

Encore or Trax… no way a 16 yr old xan speed on that shit. :joy:

Get the impreza, standard awd, no brainer.

1 Like

If you want to save money consider buying used instead of lease. Since some electric cars depreciate quickly you might find a good deal on a relatively like new car.
If you do lease considering getting a car with autosteer and adaptive cruise control. This may lower insurance premium, will be safer for your child, because less tendency to speed if car is driving itself.

There is an age where your rates automatically increase again. Not sure of your father’s age, but I believe it occurs after 65.

Many factors change rates. I keep two residences, and one town is significantly cheaper than the other for the same vehicles. It is a safer town, almost no car break-ins and hardly any crime overall. The other, my rates increase on a somewhat regular basis. My insurance company told me it had to do with the high number of auto accidents.

$280/mo is only until the 16yr/old smacks up a brand new car lease, then insurance for the dad will be 3-4X as much, and the idea of leasing a new car will have lost its appeal. Like many others have suggested, the family should get the kid an older car, w/ low mileage to understand the kids maturity level.

If money is not a concern for the family, not sure why you are lurking here on LH looking for a lease deal. I don’t mean to be mean, but the premise of this thread is silly to begin with.

Silly wrabbit, LH deals for for adult only :slight_smile:

He’s not a geezer yet, hes 52. But I think a lot has to do with the area, the type of cars and the max coverage policy, still like nyclife said 10-15 year old vehicles being double what it cost to insure a bramd new vehicle seems extremely odd to me, especially considering the new vehicles aren’t cheap either with stickers around 60k+.

I would expect to mostly see people with money or well off here. They tend to value a dollar more then people with out it.

Agreed.

And due to your mentioning it, I looked at my old policies and my SUV (2010) has been increasing each period as well. Same goes for registration. I can remember how inexpensive it would be, as the years went on - not any longer. I expect that on my new vehicles, but not on my older ones.

You can no longer catch a break. I may go with Metromile next. I only drive around 2,000 miles a year (even less with the SUV as I only utilize it for local runs to Costco and large electronic purchases that will not fit in my car), so I might as well test it out for six months.

It irritates me to be a good driver for so long and see an increase every time my policy comes up for renewal.

Off-topic but, how many vehicles does your father have? Growing up, my dad had a car for each day of the week - from classics to trucks, a van, and luxury. Shame too, he only drove his truck regularly. The other cars would sit.