$1499 monthly subscription service from Enterprise

by far the best line of the article:
It might also appeal to Uber and Lyft drivers, what with not having to put miles on their own cars and being able to swap from smaller to larger vehicles based on business needs.

Clearly the author has no clue what Uber/Lyft drivers make.

5 Likes

I have a friend who owns his own business and travels a lot. Drives clients around so he needs nice rental cars. He uses silver car for Q5s or A4s and National executive aisle when silver car isn’t available (with occasional paid upgrades when executive aisle has poor selection). He just told me he spends about $1000-$1200 bucks a month for his 15 days on the road per month. So he gets better cars, pays less and has basically unlimited free days for personal travel.

They then went on to say that Enterprise is not allowing FHV use too. But if it were possible and it included FHV/commercial insurance that would be a decent deal in many markets. A “Ready to go” TLC plated and commercially insured Camry rents for around 400 a week or so in New York City. You’ve gotta bust your butt to cover your costs, let alone actually make any money, especially in more regulated markets.

This is what I mean. Who exactly is this appealing to? 1,5k is close to what Cadillac and Audi charges for their subscriptions and you get significantly more with those OEM offers.

Enterprise must be smoking something.

In theory a rental agency could offer a lot more variety (in terms of body styles, for example) than Cadillac and Audi can.

A plan that includes pickups, minivans, maybe even full size vans and SUVs, etc could appeal to more people.

Relative to the rest of the world, US buyers have usually had to pay less for fuel and for space, and have “over bought” arguably for those reasons. There is a tendency to get the biggest even if you seldom need it. Given that backdrop, a plan that allows people to drop their largest vehicle (and possibly largest note), because they can get one when needed, could be something

Some locations have high end exotics and specialty cars. Maybe if you needed a car every few months but not every month and you could get those exotics if you lived near that location…

My understanding is that this program doesn’t open you up to exotics or specialty cars. The program only enables you to get what’s available from the standard enterprise inventory. Even then, it doesn’t guarantee that you’d get what you want, only wants available.

It’s overall a pretty poor program.

As covered earlier in this thread…

It’s basically garbage… No Escalades, no loaded up Tahoe or Suburban. Unless…it included their demolition derby grade insurance.

1 Like

These are only examples of what they offer not what are ineligible. But I agree, the language does suggest that the exotics would not be eligible. Where though are the details of what is and is not eligible?

Anyone who has actually taken an uber or lyft and chatted up the drivers, knows they have a deal with the rental car companies already, if you get X amount of rides, fares, etc, the rental is covered for the week