12 month Lease socal

Hello! Our current situation finds us looking for a 12 month lease. We’ve been watching the private transfers here as well as SwapALease. We just had a local VW dealer actually quote us a 12 month lease on a Jetta GLI that was a good deal but the car wouldn’t work for our family. Have you heard of other dealers offering 12 month leases or was that VW one pretty rare? I’ve contacted other dealers and they said “nobody will give you a 12 month lease” despite just getting offered one from a VW dealer. Any suggestions?

Even if you can find a 12-month lease, it’s unlikely to make financial sense.

A transfer is your best option for such a short time, even if the vehicle isn’t ideal.

Next best is probably something older with a strong reliability history. Just buy it now and sell it in a year.

The market should be less insane in 12 months, so if I was similarly situated I’d buy something on the lower end of what I could tolerate to minimize my losses when I sell in a corrected market in 2022.

2 Likes

Can you give more details on the VW offer?

It was $1000 down, $690/month incl tax.

Well that’s insane

1 Like

Do you understand now why 12 month leases are not a thing?

Sounds like they gave you a 24 month lease offer and just doubled the payment.

4 Likes

They didn’t offer you a lease. They offered to rob you blind.

6 Likes

I know it’s a lot for what it is but cheaper than any multi month rental car we could find and we need something ASAP. We passed but just wanted to share here

Go buy a civic and sell it in a year. You won’t be out $9000 to do so.

1 Like

You said in your first post that it was a good deal. I think the issue here is more with your frame of reference being the cost a rental car, which I do not understand.

You realize that you could likely sign a 36 month lease, and just turn it in after 12 months and pay the remaining 24 payments for less than your “good deal”?

$9280 total cost / 36 = $257/mo

Sounds like a pretty high payment for a Civic, Elantra, Jetta etc.

Just do a 36 month lease and swap out or sell it in 12 months.

Likely cheaper to lease it and then sell the lease, to avoid the up front sales tax.

1 Like

On a civic, yes. On a vw, never know what that 3rd party buy out will be.

1 Like

Don’t forget insurance. That can easily add 100s a month.

You said a Jetta wouldn’t work for your family, so what are you looking for?

Suburban or Yukon XL

2 Likes

something bigger (2 kids and a dog)

That is a terrible deal.

Would love to hear what OP has to say.

SUV or sedan?

Go lease a Honda passport. In a year, sell out the lease.

2 Likes

My experience with lease transfers was that it can take longer than expected. If you need something ASAP, it may not work for you. As others have said, just get a 36 month lease and get rid of it in a year when you are done with the car.

It’s not hard to get rid of a lease, but some leased cars may be easier to sell to a place like carmax than others. Some of the banks make buyouts difficult.

Use one of the brokers on this site, you are getting hosed on your own.

2 Likes