$10k budget per year. What car to lease/buy?

If you’re looking 3 years out for kids, a 3-yr lease isn’t going to make a difference in regards to back seat space. That said, there are very few coupes left and only a handful that are worth leasing.

Most Porsches are better off being purchased and CPO would be a good way to go under normal circumstances, but of course used car values are through the roof right now.

Values 3 years from now are a risk. I suspect the stratospheric used car values will see a correction as early as next year. You can either buy something with some buffer or lease something and guarantee your spend amount.

An S5 Sportback or lease takeover on a 440i Gran Coupe should fit well within your budget.

2 Likes

The rear seat to front seat back distance might be enough depending on the car seat, but the low/swoopy roofline is not ideal when taking an infant or toddler in & out of a convertible rear facing car seat like max said. Probably one of the reasons why wagons & SUVs work so well for car seats - the more ‘square’ door frame most of them have.

1 Like

Fast in a straight line does not equal sports car. That said, seems like a good option for OP.

1 Like

That’s a dangerous proposition with OPs requirement of a single car. I haven’t heard anything about Tesla improving their repair experience, and aside from anecdotal evidence that these things either neve break or are fixed immediately, there is a very good chance of winding up with either no car for a while or driving with issues. And seeing how we are now hitting more and more part shortages, Tesla anything as the only car is a gamble.

I was in a situation similar to yours.
I was certain I was going to get a LCI M550i but I went the two car route and leased a Camaro and a 530i instead

At $850 a month, you can get a lightly optioned M550i or pay a little more and add some goodies. If I remember correctly, it will be around $850-900 with MSDs.
In my opinion that car is the ultimate package, looks, tech, power, awd, sound, the brand recognition you want, handling (for a luxury sedan).

It really boils down to whether you care more about looks/exclusivity or power.
If you’re after the power the M550i will blow the 6 cylinder panamera, Merc GT, or a7 away.
The M550i also sounds better.
(I assume you’re referring to 6 cylinder versions of those other cars, as the 8 cylinder variants are much more costly)

If you care about image, the AMG GT, Panamera, and even the A7 are more rare sightings, in NYC at least. They all looks great IMO

There is no right or wrong choice. Only you know what you’re really going after

1 Like

Not sure if it’s been mentioned… is the budget including tax? If so where do you live?

S5 Sportbacks could be in your budget depending on what incentives you can stack.

1 Like

100% truth. Once the kid comes, the Porsche becomes a pipe dream. Get what you want, now!

3 Likes

I would get the M550i. It’s running more like 900 including NorCal tax. There’s a nice review on carwow. Don’t worry about a baby they don’t take up a lot of room in the back although sometimes one of you might want to sit in the back along with the infant. Good luck!

1 Like

I had an A7 with one rear and one front facing child seat. Worked fine. I would imagine the panamera would as well. Lightly preowned one is next on my list to buy. Someone mentioned a Jaguar—I would skip. I liked mine, but the best part about it was the v8 and the noise/acceleration that went with it. The car just doesn’t do anything else better than the 5/7 or e/s without the v8. I personally love a big sedan, so the panamera, 750, or s class is where I would go if I were you. 2-3 year old cpo will fit your budget.

Have you test-driven a panamera?

I went in for a test drive and it was not what I’d expected. It went from my ‘dream-car’ to ‘meh’

Oh I hear you. I had an infant car seat in an Elantra and currently have a rear facing convertible seat in a LEAf and am managing fine. So certainly doable in a larger car. An SUV is still a bit better in most cases, but a larger sedan should be fine.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What would you buy for $10k?