10 months remaining on BMW X4 M40i lease

Trying to determine the best way to handle my next car purchase. My 2022 X4 M40i lease ends in 10 months. I’m thinking about getting out of the lease early due to equity in the lease. I would like a lower payment so I’m willing to downgrade to a 330e xdrive. When I did some inquiring a few months ago, the quotes were crazy high and the payments were higher than what I pay now even though i have equity and loyalty.

My issue is the Milwaukee city and county tax will increase from 5.6% to 7.9% starting 1/1/24. So I would like to make a decision before next year.

Option 1 - Trade in lease now to BMW with equity and lease another BMW depsite prices being horrible but probably better than next year with new tax law.

Option 2 - Buyout Lease at lease-end with new tax law.

Option 3 - Buyout Lease now before new tax law.

Option 4 - Turn in lease at lease end and start from scratch next August.

For reference, I owe $46,726.71 on my lease. Payment is $696. My last appraisal in August was for $56K but I feel like it may have gone up since then. KBB shows 56k-61k. Only have 13,016 miles driven.

Did you price out a 330e yet? I think that’s your first step.

Wisconsin taxes you on the monthly payment, so when the sales tax increases, BMW will adjust your monthly payment anyway.

There’s about 0 chance your car has appreciated since August.

I’d be shocked if your trade in has gone up since then. In fact, would be shocked if it hasn’t dropped.

Option 5 (if you want to start from scratch but before next year) could be doing a lease transfer to someone here.

Whats drawing you to the 330e?

Consider buying out your m40i? I know the x4 had pretty low residuals

Yea this was the best offer I received. No discount on MSRP and they hiked up the MF. They would’ve budge when I tried to negotiate.

Nothing specifically, just would like to stay with BMW but have a lower payment.

I wasn’t aware that would happen. Every article I can find on the new tax law states on new purchases only.

Hey, what is this new tax law thing?? Specific to some coming state law?

Generally, that applies to purchases of tangible personal property in general, which is why it says “new purchases.” I haven’t looked it up, however, and I would be very surprised if it didn’t apply to your monthly payments going forward. Every lease I’ve seen in other states with monthly tax has auto-adjusted when the rate changed.

Ask them if they would buy your X4 outright. Tell them you can be there in 15 mins with a box of Padrons and a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.