$1 dispute over car purchase price sparks 2-year legal battle between auto dealership

2 days after singing and BEFORE any other calls/text:

What’s so complicated there? Get the contract and see what’s in there.

2 Likes

I assume the last person who paid for the car: Norm Reeves Honda (I doubt Honda North America still has it sitting on their books).

I had a similar issue like that, the SM ok’d the deal and then the GSM shot it down, I’m sure if the dealer was local they would have pushed me to come in and sign and then switch up the deal on me.

Can’t commit on this one because the story seems sketchy and written poorly.

That is the question. Is it that simple? I say no. Further googling indicates dealership is paying a $1K an hour big law partner who specializes in “ practice includes federal and state regulatory matters, government investigations, class actions, business litigation, and transactions” because of this THIS. 2014 FTC order they violated in 2017 and had to pay 1.4 million dollars to settle. Kim is represented by some sketchy bankruptcy lawyer/CPA without an office or a website. That lawyer is also not the type of lawyer who takes this case if it’s over payments on one CR-V.

I’d guess this involves the dealerships ongoing conduct on a large scale. Claimant is a useful figurehead. Facts aren’t great - just 1 dollar dispute - but his bio is perfect (decorated military vet).

2 Likes

Luxe Auto will give you $24k !

7 Likes

Not questioning the guy nor taking sides. But again - the first step should have been looking at the new contract after they contacted him and offered to deliver it. If the sales price was adjusted by $1 and everything stays the same then there is no reason not to resign, right? The dealership history doesn’t matter in that case. Besides, his Civic went trough and everything was fine.

1 Like

I’m in the military and we are not able to use JAG services for this type of legal action. It’s not a “free” legal service whenever we feel like it.

4 Likes

Law is just a game of chess. Whoever is the better chess player usually wins

Yeah, I didn’t think you would be able to use it for this kind of shit.

I’m also curious what the second contract was… he should have seen it and taken pictures. If, for instance, the payment remained the same but the loan term went up he would have had a great case for a yoyo scam.

3 Likes

Seems like a pretty open and close case. They wrote him up on a spot agreement and the bank did not approve the purchase since the contract had a clerical error. His option is to return the car or sign a new agreement.

At this point, the Kim’s are lucky is has not been reported as a stolen vehicle.

4 Likes

Why not have his attorney review the new contract? That would be 30 minutes of legal fees.

Kim contacted American Honda Finance to determine how he could pay off the CR-V and was told Norm Reeves had never submitted his credit application for the vehicle. He also discovered the dealership had not signed the original contract.

I’m not arguing ethics either way. Of course if this is over a dollar resign. That is absolutely absurd. But again, I don’t think this lawsuit is actually about the CRV in question.

The better chess player always wins. Unless the worse chess player has more money. Than they win

From another article “ Meanwhile, the lawsuit and countersuit over the CVR-R has been delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the car, which only has about 3,000 miles on the odometer, usually remains parked because Kim’s mother is fearful that if she drives it will be repossessed” Definitely get the sense the car just sits behind a heavy garage door most of the time to prevent the dealership from taking it back.

How does that work? He needs a separate credit app for both cars?

1 Like

IF there was no issue with the new contract then there would be no reason for him to sue “just because”, right? But looks like you are saying the guy just flipped because the dealer has a history and decided to sue no matter what.

I’m sure he did.

Two buyers orders, two sales contracts, two promissory notes. I suspect they used a single credit app because it has everything needed for both deals and could be referenced by both, but possibly 2 credit apps depending on how their system was setup. I doubt there was never a single credit app, even if he brought a check from the credit union or intended to pay cash.

But CRV and Civic contracts would be separate.

1 Like

I find it difficult to believe that the credit app was never submitted since a) one needed to be submitted for the Civic and b) they had a contract written up with a rate (you need an approval). It makes sense the contract wasn’t signed by anyone since it was not accepted.

I also believe Kim does not understand what is going on and the process. He uses the term “bait and switch” while the author correctly says it is a “yo-yo” scam. Also it makes sense that FI would take 2 hours to get the paperwork for two cars ready on a spot delivery. And the registration is completed at time of sale, otherwise he would have to drive on dealer plates. Plus his brother lied about his residence.

2 Likes

Not exactly. I am saying the dealership has a history of some financial malfeasance and whatever happened here fits into that pattern and could provide an opening for an opportunistic lawyer. This plaintiff was just the crazy person who agreed to be the person the attorney uses as the named party in the lawsuit. He probably gets some cut if the attorney wins.

This garbage article doesn’t tell me anything but I worked in the legal world for a few years. I know this is not a hair brained scheme because the dealership hired top level legal talent to defend the case. You don’t hire this sort of legal talent for state level litigation against an ambulance chaser.

5 Likes