Volt being discontinued

Looks like Chevy is halting production on the Chevy Volt along with other models in early 2019. End of an era. Loved my volts.

1 Like

For those that have no clue as to what you’re talking about…

Another article that goes into more depth of GM’s restructuring…

1 Like

Read about this too and it seems death of sedans and the rise of SUV and electric cars is to blame. However, I’m confused why couldn’t the same workers get retrained or put to SUV production?

They probably could. That said, would those employee’s be willing to move to another factory, hundreds or even thousands of miles away? Does GM need them if they are streamlining operations? GM’s goal is to cut down on platforms (supposedly beginning in 2020), so, in theory, you don’t need as many factories…and don’t need as many workers.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-platforms/vehicle-set/vss-f/

Possible future Volt hacks when production ceases and inventory needs cleaned out!..

2 Likes

Id be curious to see if Chevy puts the split electric/generator type technology thats in the volt into a small suv.

From what I have read, that was the goal. That said, I haven’t heard much recently

They would have to if this is their new moto: “Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion”

I took that motto as a future of fully automated electric cars, not ones with gas/electric hybrids. Although, I can see them going that route in the beginning, and eventually phasing them out for full electric though.

The end of the Volt, combined with the impending end of the $7500 EV credit, means that there may be great deals to be had soon. A shame the Volt is going away and not being converted into an SUV. The name is great and helped pave the way for other EVs. Cruze, Impala, CT6 also getting the axe. Somewhat surprising considering 2019 was a refresh year for the Cruze. When gas spikes, GM and Ford are going to regret canning all of the sedans while the Japanese automakers rack in the dough. Previously, I thought Mary Barra was doing a good job, but now I agree with the Machete Mary nickname

2 Likes

I think the CT6 will be moved to another factory. That’s the flagship sedan for Cadillac, and just started going on sale in 2016. The XTS will be killed though. Although, Cadillac had some turnover recently, so the CT6 might get the axe after all. Time will tell.

One of the articles I read said that none of the models are getting moved to other plants (and with some of GM’s idiotic decisions lately I’d believe it)

Those are great aspirational goals but their immediate goals seem to be “Zero sedans. Zero Profits.Zero Volts.”

Well, they already killed the CT6 Plug-in for 2019 in NA, so, maybe it’s a goner after all.

The rumored list of cars + transmissions being axed…

Pressing “F” to pay my respects… I like my Volt, it’s a good car. Hope anyone that’s interested can get a good deal going forward. Although aside from existing to bump the fleet wide MPG, why keep the Bolt over the Volt? The Volt is far more useful as a transportation option to more people due to its versatility. I’d give the Bolt the nod if it had a Tesla-like infrastructure behind it, but that’s simply not the case.

Hamtramck only opened in 1985 (and its closure leaves Detroit with only 1 automotive plant), so its a shame that it (or Lordstown) didn’t get the Blazer or Terrain. This doesn’t bode well for Ingersoll, but Equinox sales are at all-time highs so it is likely safe for now.

I almost signed on a Cruze Hatchback purchase (110 mile RT commute rules out a lease) over the weekend and now I am happy that I didn’t considering it is made in Mexico. Maybe the end of the Cruze can get me a deal on a sedan made in Ohio in the spring.

1 Like

Phew. Bought a new 2018 loaded (w/ ACC) 3 months ago. Was hoping I could get one more in 4-5 years but no such luck. Great car but this all but means it’s 330e or 530e next.

If Buick didn’t sell so well in China, I can imagine the whole brand could be on the chopping block too as it has a bit of an identity crisis.

I’m glad to see the Regal TourX has survived the chop…at least for now? RIP Impala nameplate though - been around since 1956! I can’t see a situation where it comes back from the dead…again - but you never know with GM!

1 Like