Tesla bankruptcy?

So the (vaguely announced) plan for the Orion production facility is to up Bolt production and to add the driverless Chevy cruise AV model.

That’s the rumor on the street.

Wife and I did very long (45min) test drove a X back in December. We are not EV or Telsa enthusiasts, but I think qualify for car enthusiasts. We like good cars regardless of EV or gasoline. Our test drive came out not impressed overall. The initial impression was very good due to all the gadgets, doors operations, lack of engine noise at low speed … most impressed is the acceleration from stand still. As the test drive went on, I started to notice things that shouldn’t be in a $79K SUV. Interior material used, fit and finish, how solid the car feel, are definitely not on par with similar price German or Japanese SUVs. Seats are on the firm side. Although lack of engine noise, wind and road noise on highway speed is more intrusive than say BMW X5. Suspension tuning is, lack of word, doesn’t feel sure footed. We actually discussed this with the sales while we were driving. His response was it is due to the weight of the battery, it won’t handle like a X5, which I don’t necessary like, but I can understand.

Overall, wife an I came out of the test drive, both agree we would rather spend $65k on a Audi Q7 3.0T than the Model X. I think Tesla still have a long way to go before matching the refinement of the mass market luxury brands, but unfortunately, they don’t have enough volume to ramp.

Picked up one of those just two weeks ago :slight_smile:

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

If the reason you ended up with QX60 is that your Model X on autopilot crashed, then it is relevant. If not …

1 Like

What’s the problem?..

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

GM is selling the bolts as fast as it makes them though? There is currently a huge backlog for bolts in Europe but GM doesn’t care since it no longer owns Opel.

1 Like

Exactly gm has lost the plot on the bolt. Also it seems Musk is back in ludicrous hubris mode. He is now fighting the ntsb? Regulatory hell!!!

PR Hell
Legal Hell
Financial Hell
High Blood Pressure Hell
Narcolepsy Hell
Regulatory Hell

This guy has a lot of “hells”

Some would say Musk is Satan himself!!???

I do agree that Tesla is not being responsible about their Auto Pilot mode too. When I tested drove the X, the sales spent so much time on the AP mode and told me how good it is and how we can pay more attention to the baby and let the car drive itself. The way they pitch it sounds really convincing. The fact is a lot of cars out there have similar capability, none pitch them like Tesla does. When they do this enough, people may just believe it is safe enough.

This is all CYA from Tesla.

Either you can operate safely in autonomous mode or you can’t. You don’t get to have it both ways.

The spin from Tesla won’t change anything

My school of thought is: Salesman is your enemy, never believe anything he says. Perhaps, that’s why I can’t get a good deal on a car.:cry:

Car crashes will always happen, regardless of whether things are completely autonomous or driven by people - so the fact that a Tesla (or any autonomous vehicle) accident occurred is not surprising. What is more interesting is whether, on average, autonomous driving is leading towards a lower incidence rate compared to human drivers (believe stats say both sides right now). My sense is that eventually, the algorithms governing these will become so much more sophisticated that they will far outperform human drivers and save countless lives.

What I find really fascinating and complex is how you program ethics into an algorithm. Here is a thought experiment:

An autonomous vehicle is driving along and now predicts an accident will occur. There are 10 pedestrians walking along the sidewalk. The vehicle has two options in this scenario, 1) swerve into the group of people, likely killing or injuring many of them, yet saving and protecting the driver, or 2) swerve into a light pole with a high likelihood of killing or significantly killing the driver, although saving the lives of the walking pedestrians.

On the surface, it would feel like #2 would be the right altruistic answer; however, as a consumer deciding between two autonomous cars, if you learn one car is programmed to protect you and one is programmed to protect the greater good… which would you actually buy knowing your family may be in the car that you choose as well (assuming all other features are equal)?

There are more crazy ethical questions they are trying to figure out in all this… pretty wild stuff.