Subaru Acent Touring

Whilst I do not like to agree with notorious internet troll @dmitry, I have to say for me, personally, I also can’t stand the screaming revs and little forward motion of CVT’s when I’m trying to merge on some of the teeny tiny on ramps they seem to have here.

Also if I put my foot down to make the light, I tend to prefer my cars to actually move in order to indeed make the aforementioned light. I drove the 2.5l 4cyl Outback for 2 weeks in LA last year and found it completely infuriating. Yes I am THAT awful LA driver. Sorrynotsorry.

2 Likes

"Notorious Troll":joy: Oh my, rofl…all these emotions.

1 Like

Drove a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited last year…decided to race a Civic 1.8…lost.

1 Like

X5 third row is designed for whom?

Ascent is 260 hp vs. 175 hp in 2.5i Outback. Makes big difference, no?

Where did you get this from after 6 months?

Umm…weight difference?:joy: The Ascent is a large SUV. It is not going to have the performance of an X5 or XC90. It is a 4 cylinder, and a CVT.

CVT is generally very unreliable as practice shows.

But size wise? The ascent is bigger. Correct??

It’s also 1000 lbs heavier, but yeah I get where you’re coming from. 260bhp should be more than enough for 99% of drivers of this kind of vehicle and it’s quite a bit more than the CX9 for example. It’s just how it gets that power down I have an issue with but I’m talking out of my ass because I haven’t driven an Ascent so I shouldn’t even be commenting really.

This is a lease forum…you may well be right, but most of us are turning these cars in with under 40000 miles.

So a non-issue.

PS. I’ve had numerous CVTs (Audi, Subaru, Toyota)…never had a single issue related to the transmission.

1 Like

I have one, and it is woefully underpowered…but that has less to do with the CVT than the anemic engine/weight of car. The 3.6 has plenty of power.

I just got the 2019 Forester, and it’s little engine is surprisingly zippy despite bad numbers…feels totally different than the Outback.

As for the noise, I generally have music on and don’t even hear the engine.

I think a car that can do 0-60 under 7s is the sweet spot. Ideally 4-6s by just flooring it. Anything past 7s is usually very slow and makes passing difficult.

In my opinion, the Ascent is gutless, and the CVT does not help. The CX9 has much more torque for every day driving, and a real gearbox helps with being a peppy drive.

Maybe…did not drive the new Forester. It must be throttle tip-in response…since no way a 9+ second car can feel quick.

It may be helpful to wait for OP to get some quotes before we start throwing out there that the Ascent isn’t worth it?

We don’t even know what OP is looking to accept yet.

1 Like

Yeah, you get where I’m coming from, but @dmitry doesn’t :slight_smile:
I’ve driven Ascent (and 2.5i, but Forester). It’s fine for everyday driving, doesn’t feel like a large SUV. It is a soccer mom’s SUV, so what can you expect?

1 Like

yeah, cause everyone needs to floor it off the line. IDK why you are so obsessed with 0-60 times, because in 99% of the cases and 99% of the time, that has no bearing on real life driving.

Furthermore, the 0-60 times have absolutely nothing to do with passing times. It’s about gearing and torque.

Like @ursus said…stay on topic or you’ll be dumped to the landfill, like the majority of your posts end up.

2 Likes

Just tell him to stay on topic. @dmitry - enough of this 0-60 crap in every thread. This is Ascent we are talking about, for God’ sake

3 Likes

I honestly can’t recall the last time I “passed” a car…and by passing I mean accelerating into the oncoming lane on a single lane road (or however you’re supposed to phrase that!).

I do miss being able to drive fast…that’s why we travel to Germany and rent cars!

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill