Small car with safety options

Ok trying to help the mother in law get a car. She has an old corolla and a cabbie ran into it. So thinking of helping her get another car but not sure of choices that would be not complicated and have some good safety features. She wants to buy a used one but i think we will buy new probably. So can someone give some ideas or pointers for slightly used one or new one with decent rebates? Thanks everyone.

Buy a 2017 used corolla. Comes standard with safety sense and probably just cost around $13k or less certified.

Thank you. These cars hold value well. The ones with less than 15k miles almost like new pricing for certified.

The new Kia Forte comes loaded with a bunch of standard safety equipment and it can be had dirt cheap, I’m sure. May be worth taking a look at.

Thanks. I will. Just dont like Kia dealers but worth a shot.

I totally get it. Kia dealers do suck.

1 Like

If there’s not much price delta, maybe a MY18 new Corolla.

I’ve seen some pretty good Impreza deals. Most come with EyeSight I believe.

Thanks everyone. Found a cruze LT deal for a 2018 brand new for 14,777 plus tax and dmv after all rebates for msrp of 23,590. However, does not have those brake assist features just backup camera, remote start, heated seats. We will see if she likes it. But dealing with used car dealers is a pain. They all want to tag 700 dealer fee and other bs. I called a guy for a 2016 corolla, and he kept giving same bs like oh man so many people been calling about that car as its a great price. Then he asks oh which car you wanted. Like wtf.

2019 Impreza comes with eyesight standard, I think.

Doubt discounts are any good. Search continues for now. Should have not gotten involved in this. :slight_smile:

We try to help parents, they think they know better :angry:

Eh its ok. I got a deal but have to go in the bronx for a 2017 corolla with all safety feaures. Will see if i can take a ride before thanksgiving. Its a pain getting there, it can be 30 min drive or 2 hours.

@NY13 - Not to be the Grinch, but a Corolla is a tin can IMO. Is this a purchase or a lease? What’s the comfort zone, price or lease payment-wise? Would they consider an EV or hybrid?

1 Like

Haha man never been called that. Man she is set on a small car. Thats all she can drive and her current car is a corolla. I did recommend a small suv at least.

Checkout hudson toyota. Have a bunch of 2017 corolla certified with 30-40k miles and retails between $14-15k. Its a toyota so those miles doesnt matter.

Thank you. I will. LI in inventory seems limited.

For 2017, Toyota beefed up the structure on Corolla for the small overlap test, and added automatic emergency braking standard. It has Acceptable-rated headlights, too, which is still pretty rare:

It’s a dreary ride but for timid drivers, it’s pretty good, IMO. Easy to see out of and easy to see where you’re going, even at night. :laughing:

1 Like

The caveat to that being Toyota’s hold their value well, so it might be tough(er) to find a good deal on one vs an American brand which has greater depreciation. That said, OP then has to make the decision on what they value most… paying more for the safety features + perceived bulletproof reliability vs spending less on a different make which may not have the same reliability perception + potentially fewer safety options.

Exactly the balance i am trying to find. It is tougher shopping for someone else. I would get a new 2019 corolla LE at 2000 off msrp or so and call it a day. But have to comsider her wishes and present all options for her.