Simon says: [.....................]

Check the laws in the commonwealth of pennsylvania

This is pretty much the same in PA. A salesman and a broker are both car salesman.

You must obtain a Pennsylvania car dealer license if any of the following apply to you:

• You’re going into the business of selling, offering for sale, or negotiating the sale of at least 5 motor vehicles in 1 calendar year .

If you’re negotiating with a dealer, you are, in fact, breaking the law. If you’re taking money from someone to tell them how much to pay for a car, you might not need licensed, and a definite loophole, but I hope you’re collecting and remitting taxes to the state for your consulting gig, or you’re breaking the law.

Are you giving me legal advice? Are you an attorney?..pretty sure that’s against the law

I’m not giving you legal advice…I’m supplying common sense + documentation from Pennsylvania, who writes those laws. You do whatever you want to. It’s not my ass in the frying pan.

8 Likes

Loopholes it is. Sorry, I’m not taking money from people to negotiate deals, then getting paid on the backend like a broker does.

Telling someone what they should pay isn’t brokering or this entire forum would be liable as a brokerage

Where you get paid makes no difference. The distinction is obtaining pricing from a dealer and then connecting someone with the dealer to obtain that pricing, then accepting any form of payment for your services.

If you’re truly just giving payment recommendations with no connection to a dealer, then you’re likely just Consulting. If you’re passing on pricing from a dealer or initiating negotiations with a dealer on behalf of someone, then you are likely into Broker territory.

The bottom line is just make sure you CYA properly and can document the distinction.

**I am not providing you with legal advice, this is my personal opinion based on reading the relevant requirements from PA.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Once you collect money, no matter where from, it is considered brokering. If you don’t collect anything from anyone, that’s just a good samaritan :slight_smile:

What makes you think a broker double dips? They either get paid to negotiate up front for the buyer, OR they get paid by the dealership as part of the deal structure. They don’t get both, and if they do, shame on the guy for hiring them.

1 Like

Because this is what he does? :smirk:

3 Likes

No pickup trucks for me. I’ll have to wait a month or two more for next car I guess.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

“Promoting the value of a broker”

Probably the most laughable thing I’ve heard all day

1 Like

But you’re a consultant, not a broker, remember?

1 Like

I almost did LOL out of laughter.

1st off You ghosted me after I mentioned my fee LOL, promoting the value of a broker. How? You don’t see the value. (seems like you ghosted other brokers as well after wasting their time)

2nd off You said you hated dealing with sales people at dealers… hmmmm… maybe this isn’t the best career for you then as that’s 50% off the job.

PS: I don’t eat lunch to save more money !!!

1 Like

Wait, so first you’re a broker in your title (that you quickly removed when called out), then a consultant, then you’re promoting the value of a broker again?

Are you going to be a sales manager in your next post?

I want to play too…moving forward, I’m a CPA.

I want to be a fireman!

Wait…

#AddingValue

4 Likes

Quentin eats Infiniti, Lexus and Volvo dealers for lunch lol

4 Likes

Done with @Jrouleau426 - you’ve been warned.