Pinned Forum Topic

This might have been mentioned before, if so, feel free to delete. If not…

As more new members post on the sites, I and others have noticed a lot “misinformed” or uninformed members, posting threads. The site is great in helping someone that has done their due diligence in getting leasing #'s but for those that havn’t, or those that are having a hard time understanding, my thoughts were to possibly have a “must read” thread where a user can get all the necessary information explaining leasing with examples of what a good lease is vs. a bad lease. Example below -

Meaning of Leasing Verbiage -
RV - Residual Value - Means…
MF - Money Factor - Means…
MSRP - Manufacture suggested retail price - meaning…
Selling price - meaning…
Etc.

Good lease Example.

Bad lease example.

Tips in posting deals - …

Feel free to add/remove. This is just a template that can be refined until it’s worthy of being used as a guide.

The forums has it, but maybe not in the most ideal place. https://leasehackr.com/blog/2016/4/17/how-to-calculate-lease-payments-by-hand

I agree that it does, but there’s several issues with it -
1 - that’s alot to read, how many actually new users are going to read through all of that?
2 - my suggestion is more of a condensed version, with examples. I think what alot of users now might be looking for is what are example’s of good vs. bad leases. How do I know what’s good and what’s not? You and I might know, but John Smith who just posted might have no idea.
3 - I think it’s easier having a forum sticky/pinned thread that people can quickly look at when they sign up.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I hope that people who really want to learn about leases should be willing to read that section. It is not a lot to read, leasing is much more complex than financing.

That is the bare minimum people should know before pulling the trigger.

Agreed, but from the looks of it, it doesn’t look like people are reading it. Hence, why I figured it would be useful to have a sticky thread.

From what I see, it doesn’t look like many people read ANYTHING. Short of somehow forcing them to read it, I doubt any amount of stickies will make much difference.

@Sgtr275 I agree - most people probably don’t read anything. But, for the few that do, it may be helpful. I look at it this way, out of 100 people, if we even get 5 more to read, that’s 5 less threads to worry about. It’ll never be 100%, that’s out of the question, but if we chip away at it, then in the end, atleast there has been some impact.

Thanks for the suggestions! We do have links to our essential Leasing 101 articles pinned on the top of the site for all new users, but unfortunately that is not the first place some new users go to when seeking answers to their common questions. For a more condensed version @xaximus has suggested, it might be a good idea to create a wiki post under our wiki category. This way we can collect the community’s knowledge, with the general consensus condensed in the OP wiki post on the top of the thread. Thoughts?

@littleviolette I think it’s a good idea. Something that can be viewed prior to being able to post. I think it would make life easier (hopefully) for people that are posting and/or responding.